Lelouch of the Promise

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, make it quick," - Houtarou Oreki from Hyouka.

Tuesday, July 31st, 2018 a.t.b

"I want to go to Paris," Lelouch said to Akito, lounging with the W-0 in the barracks. At this point, they already know that he's Zero due to the fact that he exited his Gawain in Saint Petersburg with his Zero costume. "There is something I absolutely have to do."

"And you need me as your bodyguard? Can't you take Jeremiah with you?"

"No. Officially, ever since Jeremiah killed Villetta when he turned over to our side, the Britannian military marked him as MIA, but I can't risk him showing his face in public. According to the information that Jeremiah gave me when he and I first rendezvoused after the Battle of Tokyo Settlement, you, Akito Hyuga, are among the list of wanted Black Knights and E.U criminals. Since they know what you look like, it'll be fine if you show your face to the public," Lelouch reasoned. "We'll be in friendly territory, anyway."

"What exactly is it that you want to do?" Akito inquired.

"I... I want to buy a wedding ring so that I can propose to C.C. Her birthday just passed, but I wasn't able to get her a present due to my defeat at the hands of Suzaku Kururugi. I promised her that I would get her something."

"I see. Then let's go," Akito smiled. "I'll let Leila know that we'll be out."

It was morning. The time read 11:30 AM when Lelouch and Akito arrived in Paris via a VTOL. Lelouch could see a wall made of strong, reinforced glass, connecting around in certain parts of the city. Two pieces were missing in the south-eastern section of the city.

"What is all of that about?" Lelouch asked Akito, the two sitting in a taxi cab as they headed towards a shopping district near the Eiffel Tower.

"That? Those walls were meant to keep the Japanese refugees out of the city to protect the people from potential terrorists, but thanks to the efforts of Leila and the support she received from the people of the E.U, she managed to allow the refugees into the city. There were tens of thousands of them. This was a few months before I came to Japan for the first time in January. Now, many of these Japanese refugees, especially their families, have at least one person per family that has a job."

"I see. It's fortunate that they were able to make it so far without running into trouble," Lelouch said.

Arriving at a jewelers store, Lelouch began looking around the shop for something that C.C would appreciate.

"Hello sir. What is it you are looking for?"

Lelouch turned his head to see a kind, elderly man behind the checkout. He was clearly Japanese.

"I'm looking for a wedding ring," Lelouch blushed, rubbing the back of his head nervously. "You see, I want to propose to my girlfriend. She would probably want something that is not too expensive, but at the same time shows her how much I love her. I do have plenty of money and I'm willing to spend a considerable amount."

"Well, why don't you come up here and look at the collection of rings in this display case? These are some rare beauties that I personally stored in here to recommend for someone of your age."

Lelouch walked a little closer to get a better look at the several rings on display behind the protective glass. All of the rings were very beautiful. Some of them had Japanese writing on them, but one of them quickly caught his eye. It was a beautiful, golden-copper mix with a small, blue sakura diamond in the middle. It had Japanese writing inscribed in it, reading 粗目雪.