Chapter 7

Angels Among Us

**Fang's P.O.V**

I had a dream of my daughter that night. At least I thought she was my daughter. She was outside and running through a tall maze of corn in a corn field. I didn't know where we were, but she was there, and I was running after her.

I didn't know her name either, but somehow, I was calling after her. She would turn around and look at me then run faster. She was fast, too fast.

She was getting farther from me, no matter how quick I pushed my legs. Her tiny legs ran on the dirt ground, making her white shoes turn a dark, muddy brown. Her shoelace came untied as she picked up speed, knowing that I was gaining on her, and she tumbled to the dirt.

My large wings swooped up and glided me towards her faster than any racecar made, and I picked her up and I sat on the ground, cradling her in my arms like an infant.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" I asked, hushing her as tears started to form in her eyes.

I looked down to see a little bit of blood on her knee. "Uh oh," she said, pointing at the wound. "Do you have a band-aid?"

I shook my head, "I don't think so..." I murmured, looking around and expecting a first aid kit to pop out of thin air.

Knock on wood. Oh right, I thought. This is a dream.

The box popped into her lap and she opened it slowly with her small fingers. I grabbed a pink band-aid and placed it on top of the scrape. "All better," I smiled, placing a kiss on top of it.

"Thank you, Daddy," she said, taking my face between her small hands and kissing my nose.

I pursed my lips together and gazed at her beautiful face with confusion. "I know this sounds crazy..." I whispered, "but I don't know your name..."

"Oh, I forgot. We haven't met before. But I know you're my daddy. Mommy used to talk about you to me all the time. She loves you so much. Too bad I didn't get to meet her either," She talked off topic for a few minutes. "Oh, and my name is Scarlett, Daddy." She laughed, grinning up at me.

I smiled. ...Scarlett. "Where did you get that name?" I asked, rubbing my hand up and down her tiny leg.

"Mommy gave it to me."

Max? Was she here? "When?" I asked, bewildered.

"Mommy used to call me that all the time. She wanted me to know that my name would be Scarlett. I liked it, so I kept it." She said.

Her eyes, my eyes, batted up at me, and I leaned down to kiss her forehead, but as my mouth moved closer to her smooth skin, she started to blurr. I held onto her as she wrapped her chubby fingers around my leather jacket.

"They want me to come back, Daddy," she cried as she held on.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and waist, holding her as tight as possible against my chest. "Who are 'they'?" I asked, horror in my voice.

Her eyes began to water as she shook her head. "The Angel's. They said it's time to go now," she whispered.

And then she was gone, her voice hanging over me with a small echo.

I woke up with tears in my eyes. It was all a dream. I didn't really have a daughter. I was utterly alone, except for the sleeping beauty lying by my side.

I pressed my face into my hands and wept. Oh how much I wanted that dream to be true..

But to tell you the truth, I didn't know what to believe anymore.