chapter 3

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

The sound of my alarm clock on Monday morning rudely woke me from my deep slumber. After smacking the alarm with my fist a few times until it ceased its incessant squawking, it then took me a few moments to realize that I wasn't still at the McCormacks' house, and neither Ryan nor Toby was curled up beside me. It was a depressing thought. I knew that I would see them today, but figured that at least during school hours, they probably wouldn't want to be seen with someone like me ... I probably should have known better than to think that, but being told that I was a worthless, unwanted piece of shit by my mother since I was nine years old took its toll on me. I suppose nine-year-olds are sensitive that way.

I crept out into the living room, and to my relief, I found that my mother and "The Lumberjack" (the fat, hairy guy that my mom brought home with her - I had no idea what his real name was, but my nickname for him seemed to fit the bill) were still passed out. So, I plodded off to the bathroom to get washed up and ready for school, and as soon as I was dressed in a pair of old, torn jeans and a plain sweatshirt, I was out the door to await the bus.

As the bus pulled up to the stop near the school, I looked out the window, and lo and behold, a grinning Ryan was standing there waiting for me! Stepping off the bus, I couldn't help but smile seeing him there. It made my insecurities from earlier in the morning vanish almost instantaneously. He walked right over to me, slung an arm around my shoulder, and began walking with me toward the school.

"So, how're ya doin' this morning?" he asked, that infectious grin still plastered to his face.

"I'm alright. How about you, Ry?"

"I'm doin' good, but missed having you around last night," he replied, with a small pout.

I just laughed nervously and blushed. Looking over at him, I noticed that unmistakable sparkle in his eyes and nearly melted right there.

"Where's Toby at?" I asked him, trying to keep the conversation going.

"What's wrong? Missing your boyfriend already?" he chided me.

I blushed an even deeper shade of red, and started to worry what he thought about my "relationship" with his younger brother ... not that there really was one, but still ...

"He's not my boyfriend, dumbass," I replied defensively.

"I'm just teasin' ya, bud. He had to be at school early for swim practice. He's probably showering and getting ready for class right now."

"Yeah, you jock boys and your sports," I teased, eliciting a slight chuckle from him.

"Hey, I was just thinking," he said. "Since I don't think we have any classes together, you'll join me and my friends for lunch today, right?"

Uh oh ... I was going to have to meet his friends?!?! Doesn't he remember my issues regarding unfamiliar social situations?

"Ummm  ... uhhh ... I just usually eat lunch by myself ... I wouldn't want to intrude or anything ... and ... uhhh ... you know I'm not too good with meeting new people."

"That's exactly the point. You need to start learning how to meet new people, and my friends are cool, not the typical jocks. Just be yourself and they'll love ya ... trust me!"

He sounded pretty sure of himself, but I still wasn't convinced, although I promised him that I'd think about it.

As we neared the school and the bustling masses of students gathered around chatting with each other, I figured he'd remove his arm from around my shoulder ... but he didn't. We just kept walking, right into the school. I thought it would look kind of weird for him to be walking in to school with his arm around someone he'd never hung out with before (who also happened to be a guy!), but he didn't seem to care one bit. As we passed several groups of people, he exchanged friendly greetings with them, a couple of times even stopping to introduce me to them, although I was so nervous that I couldn't remember their names for the life of me. This little experience was a bit disconcerting, to say the least.