Chapter 20

"So how did it go?" I asked Derek, as we were talking on the phone the afternoon after our "intervention" with Mikey. While I was at Ryan's baseball game earlier that day, I had been so anxious to get back home that I was practically crawling out of my skin. My mind was definitely more focused on Mikey that day than ogling all of the cute butts that were running around the bases.

"He came over and stayed the night, and seemed a little better until it was time to go home again, and then he got all jittery," Derek replied.

"Did your mom go with you guys and talk to his parents?" I asked.

"Yeah, although it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience," he sighed.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, his parents did agree to let him come back home, but they weren't exactly friendly with my mom," he answered. "His mom and dad asked how she could stand having 'the little faggot' staying in her house, probably molesting her two 'well-behaved' and 'upstanding' teenage sons."

I couldn't help but chuckle at that. Derek and Ben were hardly well-behaved and upstanding. They both got into their fair share of trouble at school, usually from pulling some kind of practical joke. Of course, being twins, they loved switching places and confusing the hell out of people (including me, several times). Then there was the time that Derek's teacher wouldn't let him go to the bathroom during class, and he'd said, "I can't help it that I have a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina!"

Of course, that didn't come close to Ben's personal feud with Sally "Big Ass" Bolero, the captain of the cheerleading squad, who he convinced to buy a case of high calorie snack bars that were usually given to starving children in Africa, passing them off as diet food. Needless to say, that's how she ended up with the nickname "Big Ass." No, the twins were definitely not angels.

"Anyway," he continued, "they also ranted about how Maggie could tolerate having two 'fags' living under her roof, doing unspeakable things to each other every night, right down the hall."

I laughed again. "I guess they don't know that Toby is gay, then."

"Actually, they know that Toby is gay. They think that you and him are together. They still think that Ryan is your typical, all-American, boy-next-door jock," he said with a laugh.

"If only they knew," I sighed, with a chuckle.

"Yeah, tell me about it," he laughed. "Anyway, like I said, they agreed to take him back, although they refused to un-ground him. My mom said that she wouldn't mind taking Mikey in for a while until his parents had time to settle down and think about things, but they weren't having any of that."

"Why do you think they took him back in the first place, after he showed up at our house that night?" I asked. That was something I'd been wondering about for a while. It seemed strange that one phone call from Maggie could magically make them change their minds ... but obviously things hadn't gone exactly according to plan. He might have been back at home, but it clearly wasn't a happy environment.

"They probably realized what kind of trouble they'd be in for throwing their underage son out on the streets," he replied. "I always knew they weren't very nice people, but I had no idea how bad it was until my mom told me how nasty they were when she was talking to them."

"Do you think he'll be ok?" I asked, before I realized how stupid a question that probably was.

"Emotionally, no," he answered. "But I've never seen them get violent with him before. When we asked him point blank if they'd ever hit him, he said the last time was when he got a spanking from his father when he was ten. So I don't think we have to worry about that. Although, maybe it would be better if they did hit him. At least then we could do something more about it."