18: Saying Goodbye

Stiles POV

I fly back towards my hideout and quickly crawl inside. Thankfully, it's still pretty light inside, but in a few hours, the sun will go down, so I will have to light a fire. I glance behind me to see Scott slide off my back and land on the ground neatly. I fold my wings against my back and turn around a bit more so it'll be easier for me to face him. Scott looks up at me, a little breathless from the flight. I have to admit, I'm surprised that he did that. I didn't want to take him away from the others, but Scott seemed insistent on it and I didn't really want to throw him off my back, so I didn't really have a choice but to take Scott along with me. I feel a little guilty about it. I hope our friends and family are okay. I don't know how Scott is planning to go home, but that will be something that he will have to sort out when the time comes, I guess.

"Look, Stiles, about today... I'm sorry it didn't go the way that we would have hoped." Scott sighs sadly. I shrug my shoulders slightly, trying to tell Scott that it's okay. I'm just glad that none of us got killed. Willow's sudden appearance was strange to say the least. I don't know what her game is or what her ultimate plan is. I'm not sure if I even want to know. I just hope that she leaves me alone from now on. I won't be looking for her, since she apparently can't reverse my curse.

"At least you got to see the others." Scott points out the positives. I nod eagerly. It was amazing to see my friends and family again after all this time. I definitely needed that. It seems like Liam and Hayden and Mason and Corey are still couples, which is really cute in my opinion. I think they will both last a long time. I wish I could find someone to be in a relationship with and love with all my heart. I wonder why that hasn't happened? Oh wait, I know. I am a freaking dragon! I'm pretty sure that erases my chances of love by 100%. Oh well, that doesn't matter right now. I'm just glad I got the opportunity to see my friends and family again. I missed them more than I realized, which is surprising, since I missed them so much already.

"It was nice to see your dad so happy again. I don't think he has had that spark and happiness in his eyes ever since you disappeared." Scott tells me. I let myself smile at the thought. Well, I attempt to smile anyway. It's kind of hard if you're a dragon. I'm just glad that Dad knows that I'm okay. I know he would have been worried sick and would have felt so lost. I'm glad that he knows that I'm okay. I love Dad and I just want to go home again, but... I can't. I don't know if I ever will. I sigh sadly at the thought and look away from Scott for a moment as I settle myself down on the ground.

"Stiles? Are you okay?" Scott asks worriedly as he sits down next to me. I look over at my best friend and shake my head simply. I've always known it was lonely up here by myself, but seeing Scott and everyone else again after this much time makes me realise how lonely it actually is.

Scott stares at me sympathetically for a moment before reaching a hand out and placing it on one of my legs. I can barely feel his touch against my armour-like scales, which saddens me again. Even when people know about me, human contact and feeling like my real self again is hard to find.

"It's going to be alright, Stiles. We'll be alright. We'll get through this somehow, just like we always do." Scott comforts me with a reassuring smile. "I will always be here for you if you need me. I'll defend you to the grave. I won't let those men find you again, I promise. You'll be safe." Scott tells me confidently. I look down at my best friend with a soft gaze. Thank you, Scott, I really am grateful for your support. I don't know what I would do without you.

I nudge my head against Scott's shoulder for a moment and let out a pleased snort, watching as the smoke dances around the two of us. Scott coughs a little and quickly swipes the smoke away. If I was human, I would laugh, but since I'm a dragon, I don't really feel like attempting it, as I know it doesn't really sound much like a laugh. Scott has pointed that out to me as well. I sink my head to the ground beside Scott, staring out of the cave's entrance, gazing out into the distance. From the corner of my eye, I see Scott shuffle closer to me and lean against me a little in a comforting manner. We sit in comfortable silence for a few moments.