7 - First day at office

Rita must had dozed off before sunrise, because she remembered that she was awake till four in the morning. She was woken up by the sound of doorbell.

"Who could be there, and so early?" She wondered rubbing her eyes.

She hurriedly tied her hair in messy bun and walked outside her room to answer the door which ranged again.

After seeing through peep hole, she sighed in relief. A middle aged women wearing blue silk saree ( traditional Indian wear) was standing outside holding a plate by her both hands.

She opened the door, smiled and asked her to get in.

"Good morning dear. Actually, I had made parathas for my husband. He loves it. I thought maybe you too will like it." The woman said handling plate to Rita.

"Thats so sweet of you aunty but, you didn't need to had so much trouble for me. I was just going to make my breakfast." Rita said placing the plate on dining table.

" Rita said placing the plate on dining table

"Dear..keep aside all formalities. You know my daughter is also same age as you. So, you are like her for me. Get used to it now, as you will often see me bringing whatever dish I want to share with you." She gave a heart melting smile.

Apparently, this women was Mrs Meena Kelkar, her neighbor.
They both met a day before in the elevator, and talked. Rita really liked her. She had a motherly vibe. She had told her to knock on her door if she ever needed something or wanted to talk.

******

After Mrs Kelkar left, Rita quickly went for bath. Minutes later, she was ready for her first day at new office.

For breakfast, she ate two Parathas (flat bread) with tomato ketchup. She also made quick rolls of remaining two for her lunchbox.

Then, she went to her room to grab her bag. While coming back to hall, she stopped and glanced at that vintage mirror. It looked ordinary. Nothing suspicious.

"May be I over reacted last night or it could be my pill's side effects." She self-assured herself.

*****

It took her twenty minutes to reach her new office. It was already 9:30. She had to report at 9 am.

"Damn traffic! " She muttered getting out of cab.

"May be they will spare me since its my first day." That was the last thought she had in her mind as she entered the main entrance of her office building.

*******

"Yes mam...sir is expecting you. Please go inside." Receptionist, with barbie like features informed her.

"What? They are actually waiting for me. I am finished. How can I be so careless?" She mumbled to herself as cold sweat appeared on her face.

********

Few minutes later, when she came out after meeting her boss, she was actually beaming. Surprisingly, she didn't got any scolding and warnings. Her boss Mr Lalwani turned out to be really good person, exactly what she had heard about him. Vinay Lalwani was known name in her work industry. Famous names were his in his client list. She considered herself really lucky to get the chance to work under him. At the age of fifty-two, he had still same dedication for new ideas as one would expect in new graduates.

Later in day, she was introduced to her colleagues. Most of them seemed friendly.

"Did you liked our city?" One of the girl with curly hair asked.

"Um...I can't say because I haven't got time to explore it yet." She admitted.

"Don't worry. We will help you in that case. Lets plan something with all of us for upcoming weekend. Will it be okay for you?" One of the guy asked.

"Um...okay." She agreed.

Although, she had just spend few hours with them, she already started liking everyone. They were very frank. They made her comfortable on her first day itself.

********

A/N:-

Hey all!
Thanks to everyone who read it.
More suspense and thrill is coming up in next chapter...keep reading 👉