Chapter Ten

Hey lovelies. Sorry I haven't updated for so long. Life has been difficult for the last few months. I'm back, and will be posting a new chapter every week on Fridays, with maybe a few extras between because you have all been so patient with me. 

Thanks for sticking around. <3 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOGAN'S POV

I rested my forehead against the window of the bus I was sitting in, clutching my backpack to my chest and ignoring the constant throbbing in my knee and ribs. I gritted my teeth, trying to block out the image of Sandra's face, her expression a mix of concern, anger and disappointment.

I knew it was my fault. I knew I should have said something. I should have said that I wasn't okay to drive. That I wasn't able to cover the shift. I knew that that was what she was angry about - that I wasn't honest to her. I knew that part of the reason that she didn't want me back was because I crashed the company car, but I also knew that a bigger part of it was because I lied. She couldn't trust me to be honest and know my limits. It probably didn't help that they had no way to contact me as I no longer had a phone.

I shifted uncomfortably, inhaling sharply at the way my ribs ached in protest. I was lucky that a few bruises were the worst of it, really. No one was seriously hurt, and that was the main thing. Really, I was more upset at the fact that I was forced to leave town and go to the next one to look for a new job more than anything. I didn't have a choice anymore. Especially not now with extra payments that I needed to make to cover the repair of the company car that I had crashed.

I sighed and shifted my head, pressing my cheek to the cool glass as a wave of exhaustion came over me. A bump in the road made my eyes snap open again and I looked out the window, realising I was a lot closer to the neighbouring city of Ringwood than I expected. I stood up and made my way to the front of the bus, preparing to get off. The bus slowed to a stop and I waited for the doors to open. Jumping off, I made my way to the main street, glancing tiredly up one side of the street to where all the little retail shops and cafes were before walking into the closest and asking for any available positions at the counter, only to have to walk out again after they asked for a resume that I didn't have, and couldn't get to them.

Because I no longer had a printer to print one from.

Or a laptop to write one up to send in online.

I could already predict how this job search was going to go. Gritting my teeth, I walked into the next store, somehow managing to muster a friendly smile for the worker at the counter. Hours later after an unsuccessful search, when it started getting dark I headed back to the bus stop to head home, only to stop short when I saw an old homeless man laying out his sleeping bag on the bench. I froze, glancing awkwardly at him as I stood beside the pole, waiting for the bus.

Long minutes passed and I could see the man looking at me from the corner of my eye. I shifted uncomfortably, pulling my bag closer into my chest protectively. I glanced up at the quickly darkening sky before looking hopefully up the road. Surely the bus would be arriving soon?

"You waiting for the bus son?" The old man croaked from beside me and I jumped, startled.

"Uh... yeah?" I mumbled.

"You missed it. Bus left half an hour ago and it was the last one until tomorrow morning at 6."

"What? But I need to get home" I stammered. The old man shrugged and rolled over, settling in for the night.

I stared up the road in despair, before shaking my head. This is no different to what I would be doing back home. The only difference was that the streets in my hometown were familiar. I knew where I could go that was safe. I gritted my teeth and began walking away, glancing down alleyways for one that looked sheltered and dry. I turned down one of the streets and found a little alley. I could hear the faint sound of music from a club of some sort a block or two away and I settled into a blocked off doorway. I felt better listening to it because it stopped the alleyway from being too quiet, and the bit of light coming into the alley from one of the street lamps made me feel a bit safer.