Chapter Twenty-Three

LOGAN'S POV

I sit on my hands, trying to ignore the compulsion I had to tug nervously at my clothing. It had been three weeks since the small dispute I had with Chris about the colour theme of our wedding, and now I was awkwardly standing at the altar, the centre of attention in a during a very relaxed rehearsal.

Conversations with Chris had been awkward. While not as angry as previous conversations had been, they were still very stilted. There was an underlying current of tension that wouldn't disappear. To be honest, I was kind of mourning the loss of the friendship that we had.

"Thanks for offering Jesse, but I already have that part organised." I heard Chris say, and I glanced up to see him walking towards me, Jesse by his side. I glanced around quickly, looking for Todd. Where Jesse was, Todd usually wasn't far behind.

"Todd is still outside with Ryder and Julian. He wasn't sure of his welcome. I'm pretty sure Parker heard of what was happening and has just invited himself as well." Luka said breathlessly as he dropped into the seat next to me, one hand on his ribs.

"The more the merrier. As long as it's a familiar friendly face I don't really care. We'll find somewhere for them." Chris shrugged, uncaring. "We want our wedding to be relaxed. Comfortable, with minimum fuss." I smiled tightly and nodded my agreement. Chris's gaze met mine and I could see the unspoken question in his eyes. I twitched my shoulders in a small shrug and Chris frowned before looking away. To be honest, I had no idea what the wedding was supposed to be like. I had tried to avoid making decisions, and I know that Chris found that upsetting.

Jesse frowned at me and opened his mouth to speak, before snapping his mouth shut and smiling behind me.

"Sorry we're late. Brennan decided last minute that he wanted to come along." Jaden said as he came up behind me, puffing. Beside me, Luka stiffened and dropped his gaze to the floor. I swivelled in my seat to face him, and smiled at both Brennan and Oliver.

"Thanks for inviting me Chris! I really appreciate it." Oliver said, smiling at Chris before his gaze turned to the seat beside me. "Luka... I didn't know that you would be here."

"Luka is being a champ and looking after the rings for us. Aren't you Luka?" Chris said happily.

"Oh really?" Oliver replied slowly, before laughing. "Well, the ring bearer usually is the small child, aren't they?" Luka went rigid in his seat, a small wash of colour appearing in his cheeks.

"That's not very nice Oliver." I said reproachfully when it became apparent that Luka wasn't going to say anything to defend himself. Oliver rolled his eyes good naturedly, before leaning forward and clapping Luka on the shoulder. Luka winced, one hand reaching up to touch his chest.

"I'm only joking, and Luka knows that." There was a tense pause. "Besides, it's a big job, isn't it Luka? You should be proud to be given it. If I were you, I'd be worried I might lose them." The hand on Luka's shoulder tightened before letting go, and Luka's face drained of colour, making the stitches in his lip glaringly obvious.

"You're right Oliver. I might lose them." Luka responded shakily, before putting his hand in his pocket and pulling out two small boxes. He paused for a moment before taking a deep breath, and raising his eyes to Brennan. Brennan met his eyes squarely, a small frown on his face.

"Brennan." The word comes out strained, and Luka clears his throat twice before continuing. "Can you please look after these for me?" Jaden's mouth drops open, and I look at Chris, who is watching the scene with his eyebrows raised.

"I'd be honoured." Brennan replies, reaching out and gently taking the boxes from Luka's shaky hand. "I promise nothing will happen to them." Luka searches his eyes for a moment, and a fleeting expression of relief crosses his face before he turns around quickly, making a quick gesture to the bathroom and walking away before anyone could say anything.

Chris watches him go, before turning around to look at Oliver, who was staring after Luka with a blank face. "I gave him those rings to look after because I trust him with them. If you're going to make him uncomfortable, you won't be allowed into the wedding. I don't want any drama happening tomorrow, and to be honest, I like him a lot more than I like you." Chris says evenly, and Oliver flushes, before glaring briefly towards the bathroom and then looking away.

"I didn't mean to make him uncomfortable. You know what, I'll go apologise." Oliver replies, looking at Chris with an easy smile before walking after Luka. We all watched him leave in silence.

"Well, that was weird." Jaden said awkwardly, before looking at me. "Logan, can I speak to you privately before we get started?" I jump at being addressed, and look nervously at Jaden.

"Sure thing." I mumble, and we walk away from the group. I glance back to see Brennan excusing himself and walking towards the bathroom, and Jesse and Chris watching us with concern on their faces. I open the door leading to outside and smile at Todd pacing nervously beside his car, ignoring the small group of people talking at him.

"You can go inside any time now, Jesse is waiting for you." I say loudly. Todd jumps and looks at me.

"Are you sure it's okay if I'm here?" He asks nervously, and there's an exasperated groan from behind him. Todd and I both pretend I don't hear it.

"Of course. We've told everyone that they can bring friends or family as long as they're going to be supportive and we've met them." Chris says, and I jump, not expecting him to be behind me.

"Thanks." Todd says, looking relieved and he rushes forward to enter the building.

"Chris. I told Logan I want to speak to him privately." Jaden says patiently.

"I know. I know. I just don't want anything said that might interfere with anything I have planned, if you know what I mean." Chris replies, sounding nervous. I glance at him sharply, and he smiles at me, as confident as ever. Must have been hearing things.

"I'm going to help. Matchmaker Jaden, remember?" Jaden says, and Chris winces.

"I'd really appreciate it, if you didn't try to matchmake this time Jaden." Chris says carefully and I stiffen. Right, how could I forget. This is a marriage of convenience after all. Convenient for me, specifically. I close my eyes in frustration. What am I thinking? I shouldn't be doing this to Chris, going along with this. I want to be married because I was loved. Surely Chris would want the same thing with some girl? Who was I to him from that? I open my eyes to see Jaden looking at me and facepalming.

"Chris." Jaden says tightly. "You're the one interfering right now. Go inside."

"But -"

"Now!" Jaden snaps, and Chris looks between us both before slumping in defeat and walking back to the door. He opens it, and then pauses before looking back at us.

"I hope you know what you're doing Jaden. For my sake." The door swings shut behind him.