Chapter Twenty-One

Hi my lovelies! 

I'm sorry for the lack of updates! I'm currently working two jobs, and I'm also currently doing my Masters, which can make it hard to find time to write. I promise that this story is not, and will not be abandoned. I'm just struggling with time at the moment. I'll update as often as I can, with Fridays being the goal. 

Thanks for reading! <3 xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JADEN'S POV

I sighed as I grabbed my backpack and headed to the kitchen to raid the pantry, fully prepared to stuff as much easy to eat food in there that I could fit. Luka was too skinny, and I was sure that he would appreciate something different to the hospital food that he always seemed to be eating.

I wrinkled my nose at the thought. I hate hospital food. It was disgusting. Yet Luka seemed to tuck into it like it was the last time that he would ever get to eat.

I stretched up onto my toes, straining to reach the top shelf where I knew Brennan had a stash of muesli bars. I jerked in shock as an arm reached past me and the muesli bars were removed from the shelf before I could get a hold of them.

I slowly turned around to see Brennan frowning at me, his bulky arms crossed over his equally bulky chest, the box of muesli bars held firmly in one hand.

"It must suck being so short." Brennan states, an amused smirk playing around his lips. "It must make stealing things so difficult."

"I wasn't stealing them." I protested, scowling. "I was just..." I trailed off, trying to think of an appropriate phrase.

"Taking them without permission?" Brennan suggested unhelpfully and I rolled my eyes at him, stepping forward to take the muesli bars only for Brennan to hold them in the air out of reach.

"Really?" I asked drolly.

"Really, really." Brennan replied, doing a terrible impersonation of Shrek. If I could roll my eyes any harder, they would probably pop right out of my head.

"Come on Brennan. I'm not in the mood." I finally snapped, holding out my hand for the box. Brennan's smirk faded and his eyes searched my face intently.

"What happened?" He asked, his eyes finally moving past my face to focus on my backpack full of food sitting on the kitchen counter. "Where are you going?"

I shrugged. "Luka is in hospital again."

"Again?" His brow furrowed. "Luka... Is he the redhead that was in there recently?"

"No. That was Miles. Luka is... I don't think you've met him." I frowned, trying to figure out a time when Brennan would have met Luka and coming up blank. "Luka doesn't like new people. He's quiet. Shy." I tried to explain, only for Brennan's frown to get bigger.

"Oh" I reached forward to tug the muesli bars out of his hand while he was mulling that over, adding it to my backpack full of goodies and moving back to the cupboard to continue my search. I could feel Brennan's eyes on me as he leaned against the kitchen counter, watching me pull out item after item.

"What did you mean by 'again'? Why is he in there?" Brennan asked finally and I shrugged.

"He said he got mugged, but..." I paused, not wanting to put my thoughts out in the open.

"You think he's lying." Brennan said, making the words a statement rather than a question. I shrugged again.

"He gets bullied a lot." I mumbled, trying to decide whether Luka would prefer the chocolate or vanilla muesli bar better.