Chapter 15

Shalimar hid in a corner. The gun shots continued. After some minutes, it stopped and there was silence. She heard some people moving about. She hoped it was the police and not the thugs.

She got up from her hiding spot and quietly moved towards the people. She was relieved when  she saw that it was the police rounding up and hand cuffing the thugs. One of the officers saw her and came towards her.

"Mrs Bolt, are you alright?"
The officer asked when he reached her.
"Yes, I am."
"Good follow me, I will escort you to your husband "
She lit up when she heard this.
"He is here? "
"Yes, he is waiting outside."
Shal followed the officer.

They were almost to the door when she remembered Caroline.
She told the officer Caroline's whereabouts. He passed the information to another officer who then went to get her out.

Shalimar let the officer lead her outside. She couldn't wait to see Damon.

***

Damon was tired of waiting.
"Calm down. You have to trust the police to do their work. They will get her out."
Jesse tried to get him to calm down.
Damon checked his watch again.
"What is taking them so long to...."

He stopped when he heard rapid gunfire. After some minutes it stopped. He looked to see if Shal was out but he didn't see her.
"I can't wait anymore, am going in. "
He was halfway there when he saw Shal being led out by a police officer.

"Shal! "
He called her name. When she noticed him, she ran to him and hugged him tightly. He wrapped his own arms around her.

He pulled her out of his arms and looked at her from head to toe. He became furious when he saw her bloody hands. He took her palm and studied it. There were cuts on her fingers and her wrists. He could also see rope burn around her wrists.

"They hurt you."
He said while looking at her hands.
Shal looked at the blood and winced. She could hear the anger in his voice.

"I hurt myself cutting the rope around my wrist with a piece of glass."
She placed her head on his chest and held him tight.
"I am just happy to be with you again. I thought I would never see you again."

They hugged each other. They turned and saw the officers leading the thugs out in handcuffs. Most of them were injured and bleeding.
Damon was about to ask about Caroline when he saw her being led out by another officer.

Damon gestured at the officer holding Caroline to stop before them.
"You should have just left. This didn't have to come to this."
Damon said to her.
Caroline shot death glares at Shal.

"This is all your fault. Damon is supposed to be mine. Mine! You came along and ruined everything."
She spat at Shal.
She tried to get free to fight Shal but she couldn't.
"Take her away officer."
Damon said.

The cop lead her to a police car. Damon walked Shal to his car. He was with her when officer David, the cop who had brought Shal out of the building called him. He left her to go answer him.

Shal was standing alone beside the car. Caroline saw an opportunity as the cop holding her became distracted. She kneed him in the groin and grabbed his  gun. She pointed it at Shal.

"Die, bitch!"

Damon who had just finished his conversation with officer David was going back to Shal's side when he saw what Caroline was about to do.

He was closer to Shal and he ran towards her. He just got her back, he wasn't going to lose her now.

"Shal!!!"

***

Shal was facing the car trying to open it and sit inside. She was tired but very happy. She would soon go back home with Damon and also see her sister.

She heard him shout her name.

She turned and saw the gun pointed at her. She froze. She came back to her senses when she was suddenly knocked off her feet and pinned to the ground just as Caroline fired the gun.