IV;

DRACO TIGHTENED THE SLYTHERIN TIE around his neck before slipping on his black robes. He glanced at himself in the mirror before looking down at the fabric. The boy scoffed, remembering how the prideful girl called the clothing cheap.

"If she knew how much these robes cost..." The Malfoy muttered, straightening his posture before sauntering his way towards the Great Hall. Many people passed him, but none dared to utter a word of greeting towards him. Which was typical, because although Draco was an early riser, he wore the scowl on his face from the moment he woke up.

He entered through the large doors, passing a few Hufflepuffs doing some kind of Quidditch drill, and routinely sat next to Zabini at the Slytherin table as always. Crabbe and Goyle were already there, faces stuffed. Nott was also, but he was reading a book. Potions, to be exact.

"I wish we didn't have double potions with those Gryffindors today." Nott mumbled.

Zabini nodded in agreement. "Me neither. But I'm sure Draco isn't minding at all?"

"What do you mean?" Draco asked, grabbing a green apple from one of the bowls in front of him. "It's with Saint Potter and his club."

"Well, yes. But also it's double the time with Phoenix." Zabini responded. He tilted his cup towards Draco a bit. "Remember?"

"I've never seen her in that class before." The blonde stated while shrugging, trying to hide his sudden interest. "How many classes do I have with her?"

"You unobservant idiot." Nott sneered. "Phoenix has many classes with you, you're just too focused on either yourself or Potter to notice."

Draco rolled his eyes and picked at his food. "I've had other priorities sorted before this whole Yule Ball drama."

"Alright, then. Speaking of... How are you going to ask her? You never gave us a sensible answer." Nott took a sip from his pumpkin juice. "You do have an idea, right?"

"Are you expecting me to serenade her? She'll want to say yes by the time the Yule Ball comes around." Draco huffed, quite smugly. "What girl would want to go alone to such a historical event?"

"We don't know how long she'll be dateless for, Malfoy. You should do it soon." Goyle suggested.

"Don't tell me what to do, Goyle."

"But Goyle's right! The Yule Ball has been the talk of the school for nearly a month now, what if she knows who she wants to go with already and it's not you?" Crabbe said, his mouth full of toast.

"She definitely doesn't have a date in mind yet. I'm sure of it." The Malfoy replied, taking a bite of toast.

"Your confidence can be overwhelming, Malfoy." Zabini sighed. Nott nodded in agreement.

"Have some faith." Draco mumbled, glaring at his Slytherin peers, while taking a frustrated bite out of his green apple in hand.

"You said going with her has advantages. Use your Slytherin ambition and strive!" Nott opened his arms wide while smiling, as if trying to be uplifting and inspirational.

Zabini chuckled, glancing back at the blonde boy. "Of course you would only get a date that'll benefit yourself, poor Phoenix."

"Like a true Slytherin." The Malfoy smirked, but not because he agreed with Zabini, but because he successfully fooled his friends into thinking he certainly wasn't going soft. They now thought he was using her, which wasn't entirely wrong but not entirely correct. Of course, they still didn't have a clue of the double meaning the expression held.