XII;

THE TWO SLYTHERINS SLIPPED OUT of the Entrance Hall, where the front doors stood wide open. All around them the fairy lights of the rose garden glimmered as the two descended down the front steps. Soon bushes and large stone statues surrounded them, all covered in a layer of snow that was currently falling lightly. In the distance was the sound of splashing water, probably from a fountain. Already there were some students out here who had the same idea as Draco, seated at carved benches.

Draco lead the two quietly through a path weaved in through the rose bushes, until they settled on a more secluded bench, only visible in the moonlight shining upon it. Phoenix sat down on the edge, Draco sat on the other end.

The blonde boy didn't know what to say, seeing clearly that she was still upset. It was not in the Malfoy's nature to be apologetic, let alone have some sort of guilt. Indeed, he felt no regret for talking about those Gryffindors and wouldn't take back what he said.

But why did it concern Phoenix enough for her to be so upset?

He couldn't bear the silence between them any longer. It wasn't even ten o'clock yet!

"Are you mad?" Draco asked, but his tone had no sympathy or care.

Phoenix turned to him with a blank expression, "No."

"I think you are."

She let out a frustrated sigh before turning her body towards him, "That was an awfully rude thing you did, but I am not mad. I am just not... content."

"They're not even your friends." He defended.

"No, I could care less about them. But you went to this Ball with me, didn't you?"

"So you are jealous."

Her face almost turned into one of shock and disbelief, but remained apathetic. "You're unbelievable. I'm not jealous, I am insulted." She hissed.

"I wasn't even talking about you!" Draco raised his voice, but it wasn't exactly to the point of yelling.

"You weren't talking to me. Too focused on your little enemies to care about your date." She took a deep breath, "You're foolish. Only fools talk so badly behind someone's back like you did. Haven't you ever heard of that?"

"You talk badly of me, yet I am not exactly in complaint." Draco scoffed.

"But I don't do it behind your back. To let someone's presence ruin your mood just because you hate them is-"

"Isn't that what you do?" He interrupted. "I ruin your mood by just breathing the same air as you!"

"You provoke me, you bloody idiot!"

The two were both breathing heavily, faces flushed from anger. They both must've been on the same page, turning their heads sharply away from each other's glares at the same time. Draco couldn't see her, but he heard her shiver on the other side of the bench and her hands rubbing her arms, perhaps trying to warm up.

Reluctantly, Draco stood up, and took off his dress robes. He stood beside her and draped it over her bare shoulders. He was now left in a white buttoned dress shirt. Phoenix looked up at him, her eyes wide.

"I didn't realize it would upset you that much." He admitted.

Draco still didn't feel any kind of remorse, but he was still raised with certain manners. Maybe he didn't agree with her right away, but she had a point. Not only that, if he continued treating her like this any further, he would never be able to give her the surprise he had in mind for later in the night.