Ch. 8 Dates (Part. 1)

"What are you doing?" My dad poked his head into my room. "Sam told me you were looking for something in the garage."

I nodded at the blue box at the end of my bed. I was looking at it, deciding if I should open it or not.

My dad finally stepped into my room, and grabbed my backpack. I left the blue box there and followed my dad. We silently got into his car.

"Do you think it's time?" He asked. I knew he was talking about the wigs in the blue box.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"I don't think so, but it's on you. You don't have to do this. You're beautiful just the way you are."

I tried to give him a smile. "So much hair fell out this morning when I was brushing it. I got scared. But I'm not sure I want to wear a wig this time. I mean I'm a senior in high school, everyone should be mature about this, you know someone losing hair."

"Well what if you don't worry about that today? Just go to school, learn, and I'll take you to dinner afterwards." He said. "Just you and me."

"You and me? On Valentine's day? What about Sam?"

"..... Sam will have to wait for another Valentine's day."

Right, because this is my last one.

What even is the point of today? I should stay home. Everyone's going to be in the spirit of love.

"So after school just you and me." My dad said as he stopped the car in front of the school.

"Maybe..." I grabbed my backpack and got off the car.

"Amara?"

"Yes dad?" I turned around to see him holding out a white rose. I took it from him and gave him a smile. "Thank you."

"Love you Amara."

"Love you dad." I whispered. 

The campus was crowded with girls walking around holding gifts in bags, colorful flowers, and heart shapes balloons. I put the rose in the side pocket of my bag.

I took in a deep breath and walked through the opened gates. I got to my math class with Mr. Porter. I took a test yesterday and I need to make sure I passed. Jonathan said that I would pass. He helped me study on Monday and Wednesday. I hope I wasn't just wasting his time.

"Amara, I'm glad to see you" Mr. Porter said as I walked in the classroom.

"Really?" I asked. "How did I do?"

"You passed with a B+." He said. He gave me the paper so I could see for myself. Almost an A.

"Yes!" I yelled.

"I'm guessing you passed." Jonathan said from the doorway.

"Yes, thanks to you. I don't think I would have gotten this if you hadn't helped me." I said. I showed him the paper.

"You see, you did it." He said.

"Can I take this Mr. Porter?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll see you 4th period." He said.

I happily skipped out of there with Jonathan walking behind me. I folded the test and put it in my pocket.

"Hey, I'm going to go, but I got you this." Jonathan said. He gave me an orange rose.

"Aw, you didn't have to. Thank you." I took the rose from his hand. "I didn't get you anything, I didn't get anyone anything."

"Don't worry about it. I actually brought it when I was on my way to school. I was thinking about who I should give it to and since you passed your test, you definitely deserve it." He said.