Ch. 20 Monsters

Amara's POV

Tic, tic, tic, tic...

The sound of the ceiling fan went on and on. I was literally starring at the fan go around and around. Nothing was on my brain. I wasn't thinking of anything.

Now I'm starting to wonder how long I'd been like this for. Five minutes? Half an hour? A hour? Why am I wasting my time? Oh right, I can't fully walk on my own.

My phone buzzed, showing a call from Amelia.

Should I take it?

"Hello?" I answered. I mean I was already wasting my time.

"Hey you want to go out today?" She asked.

"No, I'm in bed." I muttered as I looked at Coconut. She had decided today was out lazy day and we were both in bed.

"It's 4 in the afternoon. Time to get up and go out."

"Out where? I don't want to be third wheeling. I'm already in a wheelchair."

"Your sense of humor never dies... we are going to celebrate Clay's 18th birthday. It'll be me, Ben, Michael, and Clay."

"Michael? As in Michael Sax?" I asked.

"Yes. Clay's baby. It's Friday so he went to go pick him up right after school. We're meeting at 7. You have plenty of time to get ready."

"Sounds cool."

"Come on Amara. Get out and have some fun. Forget about everything. Clay is your friend. You forgave him and thanked him. I'm sure he would love it if you came." She said.

"I'll think about it." I said. "I'll call you later."

I wasn't going to go. I wasn't even changed. I was in my underwear and sports bra.

Even if I change and go out; I can never be sure to keep my food down.  And I didn't want to ruin the dinner. Besides all of that, I'm in pain. I felt like someone was pinching inside my skin. They were poking my muscles with needles. I couldn't do much about it so I tried not to think about it.

Sam came into my room with a smile on her face.

"Hello sweetie, I'm making some chicken soup for you. Do you want me to help you to the table? You'll get off your back for a while."

Well I've been laying in bed most of today so...

"Yeah, I'll go to the table."

She helped me sit and moved my legs to hang off the bed. She moved my wheelchair near my bed and put the brakes on.

"Do you want a shirt?" She asked.

"Um, get me a sweater. I should be good." I said.

She went to my closet and grabbed a sweater showing me. "This one?"

"Perfect."

I quickly put it on covering my exposed stomach. Which to be honest, was nothing attractive. I could see my ribs and it was disgusting. I was slowing drying up, like a grape turning into a raisin.

Then she helped me put some shorts on. "Okay, hold on." Sam said. I grabbed on to her shoulders. She helped me stand and then pivot in front of my chair. "Slowly." I slowly sat down and let go of her.

She had learned a lot at the hospital. Enough to help me here at home. She didn't have to take care of me, but she did it anyway. And even if I could stand on my feet for a couple of seconds, it hurt almost as bad as breaking a bone. I felt myself be heavy, even though I wasn't more than 115.