Ch. 27 Steps

The week following the sunrise magic was rather slow. I got a lot done. And my father's mood had changed a lot. It was like he was almost himself again.

There was something I wanted to show Clay but I hadn't been able to see him all week. I know he went back to school. And he's been busy with court.

But he was going to come over today, along with Amelia. She didn't know yet but we got her a cake. Her birthday was tomorrow but we wanted to surprise her. I found out it was her birthday only because Dr. Fisco is organizing a "celebration" for his daughter. Those were his words.

He gave me an invitation when I went for a check up. Now I had to go dress shopping. I couldn't ask Amelia for a dress, she would ask what I needed it for. And I think I'm thinner than her now so our dress sizes were different.

As I stood at my window, that's right stood, I watched my father get off his car. He had a grocery bag in his hands. I wondered if he would end up with Sam again. Sam was clearly trying to get him on the right track which must mean something. I wouldn't take my time caring for a man I don't want.

I saw Clay arrive, parking on the side of the street. He had his hood on like it was cold outside. My dad told him something. Clay shrugged and got the cake. He looked back at my dad. My father pointed towards the house.

I'm guessing he was telling him I was inside. I started to slowly walk out of my room.

Dr. Fisco traded my wheelchair for a pair of crutches! I was happy! I was so freakin excited! I could almost jump around. Well maybe not yet, but I would get there. The way the crutches worked was, crutches forward then one step and then second step. And again crutches forward then the steps.

I heard Clay come in the house and close the door. He shouted my name as he made his way to the kitchen. As I turned the corner to go into the kitchen I saw him washing his hands.

"Amara!" He yelled again.

"I'm right here."

He turned to look at me. His faced confused as he saw we were the same height again. He looked down at my legs, his face telling me he was shocked. Finally he looked back at me with his mouth open. "You're standing up." He whispered.

I smiled at his reaction.

"You're standing up!" He wrapped his arms around me picking me up and spinning me around. The crutches falling to the ground as I held on to Clay. "Holy nuggets, you can walk! How come you didn't tell me!?"

He put me down, but still held me up by the waist. "Surprise!"

"Wow this is amazing. Like I'm about to do a happy dance... I am so proud of you. I knew you could do it." He kissed me forehead.

"Thank you for cheering me on." I told him. I gave him a hug which he returned. "So what did my dad tell you outside?" I asked.

"He just asked me if I knew the law about driving with a hoodie on."

"Why are you wearing a sweater?" I asked. "It's warm."

He sighed. "I'm sick. I feel cold."

"Aw baby, you want a warm tea?"

"No, I'm good." He gave me small smile. "I missed you." He picked me up sat me on top of the counter. He stood between my legs as he hugged me.

"I missed you too. It was a long week."

"Tell me about it. I want to know everything you did."  He murmured against my neck.

"I'll tell you later. Let's get ready, Amelia will be here at any minute."