Chapter 3: Message

"You barely made it Fang." Mrs. Meredith says smiling at me. "I'd hate to have to send you to the office."

Mrs. Meredith is a funny teacher in her early thirties that has a cool humming bird tattoo on her right shoulder. She teaches the new class this year that I all but jumped into, creative writing; she is also the sponsor for the school's academic team. She is one of my four favorite teachers.

"I'm sure you wouldn't like to send your favorite to the office." I say closing the door and walking to the front of the room.

"I don't pick favorites, now pick one." She says waving a hand at four baskets sitting on the front of the desk.

"What have you got for us today?" I say rubbing my hands together. I look in the baskets to find multiple copies of four different books. They are Eragon, The Hobbit, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, and Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief. "What's this, two high fantasies and two modern fictions, are you trying to butter us up before you slam us with Romeo and Juliet, or some other Shakespeare nonsense?"

"I would never make anyone read Romeo and Juliet, of course I'll deny I ever said that, but no we will not be reading anything from the greatest author-" She starts.

"Playwright." I say coughing. "And that is an opinion."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Are you done yet?"

"Yes."

"Good, we are about to have a big writing project, and I want to get your gears turning." She says giving me a stern look. "Pick one, read the first five chapters and give me a synopsis on the pace."

"Well I'd still be talking about the pace of The Hobbit at Christmas, and both Max, and Percy are fast paced action thrill rides, so I'm going to go with the one in the middle. However we both know I don't need to read any of these to write a synopsis on the first five chapters." I say giving her a questioning look.

She gives me a "get in your seat" look and says.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, now take your book and go read the first five chapters." She says handing me a copy of Eragon.

"Have you read these?" I ask as I take the book.

"Only the first one."

"You should read the rest they only get better."

"I told you to read the book not try to make me read the rest of them." She says giving me a stern look.

I go to my seat and sit down, as I open the book and prop it up where she cannot see the rest of my desk. As I pretend to read it, I pull a sheet of paper out of my bag and write my synopsis. Twenty minutes into class, I finish my synopsis and take it to her.

"I recall telling you to read the first five chapters, and if you could read that fast I would never catch you reading in my class." She says through a sigh.

"Should I start with the prologue or the first chapter?" I ask calmly looking at her.

"The first chapter." She says giving me a strange look.

"Ahem "Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye. The prints-" "I start to recite.

"Go sit down and sleep like we all know you're going to." She says rolling her eyes causing the class to laugh a little.

"It's good to finally have permission." I say chuckling.

I make my way to my seat and sit down while crossing my arms forming a pillow. My head had barely touched my arm before I was asleep. I see my usual dreams and fall through the bottom of them. I fall deeper and deeper into the abyss of my dreams.