Chapter 12: Me and Only me

Chapter Tweleve

That week Hilary started palliative therapy. The therapy was said to help

with the body, mind and spirit. Palliative therapy also focused relieving and preventing the suffering of patients. Hilary, Brianna, and Cody all went to the hospital that week. The doctors were to work with the whole family on supp- orting Hilary emotionally and spiritually.

When they got the hospital they checked in and went to room 329. There were 2 nurses, one from Hilary’s first visit, and 1 doctor there. There was also a woman Hilary didn’t recognize.

“Hello!” the doctor greeted everyone with a big smile. “My name is Doctor Cressio. Me and my two nurses, Nurse Nicky and Nurse Natalia.”

Both of the nurses smiled and waved.

“This is also Miss Kranchee who is your massage therapist.”

Massage therapist? Hilary liked the sound of that.

“So if you would just lie on your stomach on the bed we could get started!” Dr. Cressio said overly excited.

Hilary lied in the bed and felt hands rub her back. It had been a long time since she had a massage and it felt so good. Brianna and Cody sat on chairs pushed up against the walls.  The doctors and nurses started to ask Hilary questions.

“So we will be here throughout your journey of cancer. We will all be here for you. Your family too,” Dr. Cressio started.

“Yes,” Nurse Natalia said, her voice smooth. She was the one who had helped Hilary at the hospital before.  “Whenever you need something or are curious about something, you can ask us.”

“I have a question,” Brianna spoke up.

“Yes?” asked Nurse Nicky with a strong country accent.

“When will Hilary start her radiation therapy?”

Dr. Cressio answered. “You will start that in two weeks. And once you start you will be doing it every weekday for several weeks.”

“What is radiation therapy?” asked Cole.

Nurse Natalia bent down next to Cole. “Radiation therapy is when you use something called radiation to kill cancer cells.”

“What is radiation?” Cole asked once again.

“Radiation are electromagnetic waves.”

Cole still looked confused but she kept his mouth shut.

“Any other questions?” asked Dr. Cressio.

Nobody answered.

“Okay,” he continued. “So the future year you may feel sad thoughts. Thoughts about being someone else.”

“What do you mean ‘someone else’?” asked Hilary.

“You will not want to be you.”

“That’s is not going to happen.” Hilary protested.

“Really?” Dr Cressio said folding his arms.

“Yes,” Hilary said. “All my life I’ve loved being me. I have never wished to be someone else. Even when my mother and father died. I never ever would want to be somebody else. I only want to be me. Me and only me.”