Chapter 23 (N/A, N/A, N/A)

Chapter 23

N/A, N/A, N/A

Rory felt her heart in her throat looking at the lifeless body of Kaldur'ahm, her hand instinctively went to the sticks at her waist. Rory was the selfish one in the Parker family, a father in the service and a mother who worked as an ER nurse. Rory could practically see her mother racing to his side. She wouldn't hesitate, helping people came naturally for her.

This was Schwimmer's twisted idea of a joke. If it was virtual reality Rory would receive a horrible punishment when she went back if she didn't complete the task, which was most definitely kill Kaldur'ahm. Odds are the choice wasn't even up to her. It was up to whoever created the simulation.

But she didn't feel herself running to stab him or murder him in some other gruesome way...so was the choice up to her?

Rory shoved the kendo stick back into the holster and raced to his side, sliding next to his body amongst the sand. When she did she felt cold metal press against her chest. She reached inside the jumpsuit to find an array of daggers. She pulled one out and held it over his heart.

One move and he would be dead. One move and Rory would be that much closer to going home. One move and she would avoid countless punishments at the hands of Schwimmer. He wasn't moving, a sitting duck amidst militant vehicles. If she did nothing he would die too.

Rory slid the knife back in her suit and closed her eyes and took a deep breath before scrambling to her feet. Rory carefully looped her arms under Aqualad's and looked up the dune. Considering the militant vehicles roaming about, it was better to be at higher ground rather than sitting ducks at the bottom of the dune. As she lifted him up the sand rolled off his body.

"Screw you Schwimmer!" Rory said aloud as she struggled to carry Aqualad, speaking aloud like this made Rory feel like she was losing her mind. "You don't get to tell me what to do!".

Aqualad groaned at the movement. He was still alive, and it was Rory's job to keep him that way. She was no nurse, but she knew enough and she could do this.

"Don't get mad if I drop you" Rory said aloud as she dragged Aqualad's body up the dune."You are like double my size".

__________________________________________________________________

N/A, N/A, N/A

The sun had started to set when Rory finally managed to pull Aqualad's body up the dune side. Where was her amazing strength? Was it a part of the simulation? Aqualad kept sliding back down the hill do to the sand when Rory even remotely loosened her grip.

But finally Rory got him to the top of a dune and collapsed against a tall rock at the top. Aqualad's legs had left tracks in the sand and Rory's knees buckled under the weight the entire way up here.

A gust of wind from the north blew sand past them covering the trail, because of their position behind the rock they felt the cool breeze but had no sand in their eyes. With the sun setting the two weren't in the burning heat anymore. It was a good spot to hide out so Rory could examine whether Aqualad would make it out of this situation.

Rory peered over Aqualad's face.

"Ok Rory how are we getting this done?" she asked aloud. She held a hand to his mouth and felt his breath on her hand. He was breathing that was for sure. She pressed her head to his chest and heard his lungs struggle to oxygenate.

"You wanna tell me why it's hard for you to breath?" Rory asked his unconscious form. "No? Ok then".

Rory lifted his limbs for any sign of a cut or bruising. Carefully lifted his head to check his back, but found nothing. As she carefully placed his head down her fingers ran over a crevice on his neck. She looked and saw the slits in his neck that were meant to be his gills.