Chapter 1 (Dec 13th 2009 12:13pm)

Chapter 1

(Dec 13th 2009 12:13pm)

I flipped through my composition notebook trying to find a blank page to draw on. My mom always said I should get an actual sketch book. But my book cost 20 cents while sketch books cost 10$, so I think I’ll stick to my way. Plus I wasn’t completely devoted to art, it was more of a pass time. I was however completely devoted to Dance and violin. Which is why all my spare change went to that

I finally find one and start to sketch the outline of a tree in front of me. The students bustle around in front of me hardly paying attention to me. But I didn't mind I took comfort in the silence. It was just me and the tree.

I was almost done with the drawing when I feel a something hit the side of my leg. I look down and see a scratched-up, neon green penny board with orange wheels. The letters AH were scrawled across the back of the board. Andrew Hale if you are lying broken in a school hallway. I am first going to laugh, and then I will laugh some more.

I pick up my book and pencils and slide them back into my back pack. I pick up my violin case and carefully place my foot on top of the board and steady myself. I mount the skate board and take off through the courtyard. In a few seconds I spot Andy slumped up against the wall. I carefully use my weight to guide the board over to him

“Andy what the hell” I say hopping off the board before it reached him. The board continues on its path of motion and crashes into Andy’s leg.

“Ow” he says. His jeans are torn up and there’s some scrapes on his knees leaving him a bloody mess. He had seen worse, there was that time he fell off the ramp and dislocated his knee.

“I was trying to prove to Chad that I could skate the rails and flip off the edge” he said pointing to the railing at the front of the library. Our school was surprisingly liberal on what went on during free period.

“And you face planted” I say gesturing to his series of wounds. I pull off my backpack.

“Pretty much” he says shrugging. “But no need to say it like that Rory”.

While Andy was a dedicated skater boy, he had taught me the basics so I wouldn’t be so bored at the skate park. His curly pale blonde hair was tucked under is black helmet, that would leave him an extreme case of helmet hair. But it’s not like he ever made an attempt to make it look acceptable. His grass green eyes had little specks of gold in them that sparkled whenever he landed a skateboarding trick.

“Must get first aid kit” he says struggling to get his backpack off.

“Andy why do you do this to yourself” I say. I pull Andy's backpack off his shoulders. “You’re not a superhero you have limits, so wear the stupid pads when you do stupid things”

“I could be you know” Andy says.

“No you can’t your just a stupid kid” I say pulling out the first aid kit in his backpack.

“I’m not a kid I’m the same age as you” he retaliates.

“So you agree with the stupid part” I say with a smirk. He glares at me and I stick out my tongue. He rolls his eyes and continues on with his superhero obsession.

“I could be a hero” he says. “The savior of Rosegate” he says using his hands to emphasize the genius of the idea.

“Nothing happens in Rosegate we don't need heroes” I say taking the antiseptic and clean his woods and he winces. I carefully wrap his leg. “Unless you want to use your amazing powers to help me with my gardening”.