Chapter 3 - The Journey

Aruna's PoV:

The fight attendant helped us to our seats and proceeded with the instructions. I always liked the window seat. But this time, I got the adjacent one making me feel disappointed. The man sitting in the window seat was busy reading the newspaper. I was trying to keep my bags in the overhead bin, but was not able to. The man noticed this and helped me out. Of course , he was tall and muscular. So, it would be piece of cake for him. I was happy with gesture and mumbled a thank you. He just nodded and went to his seat.

I went to washroom. I tied my hair to ponytail and washed my face and came back to my seat. He was sitting faced towards the window, so I was not able to get a glimpse of his face. A passenger strode past me, making me stumble a little and to fall. I closed my eyes waiting for the impact, but it didn't. I felt warmth across my waist and noticed strong arms holding me. He was asking me whether I was OK, with a concerned voice. I just nodded and calmed myself and looked at the person who helped me twice. I looked into a pair of concerned hazel brown eyes, and that moment my breath hitched and heart skipped a beat.

It got me thinking, "Why is this person so scared and concerned for me? Why?"

Then realization seeped in. This is the same person I met in the lounge. He smirked. And this made me annoyed very much. I said thank you and sat in my seat. "Why am I bumping into this man again and again?".

"Maybe it's fate!! " I heard someone answering my thoughts and looked, only to hear his amused laugh. Then only I realised that I had blurted out those words aloud. I felt embarrassed and said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to say it.. Aloud." This made him laugh even more and he said that it was ok and he was cool with it.

"Cute!!" ,he commented. I was shocked by this and looked at him only to glare. But he held up his hands in surrender and said, "It was just a compliment."

I don't know what came over me, I just blurted out that, " I am not used to those kind of compliments."

I was shocked that I said that out aloud, that too, to a stranger. But before I recover from that, he shot back, "Well then, start getting used to it." This angered me even more and before I spoke, he added, "It is polite to say thank you for the compliment received", and gave a cheeky dimpled smile. There was innocence in his face. So, I didn't said anything.

I am usually polite to everyone since my job demands it. But, when I'm speaking to him, I am being myself. Without any hesitation, I was showing my emotions, be that its anger or annoyed. Maybe because he is not wearing any mask unlike others, like me.

Since, we had the little conversation, I was brave enough to ask him to switch seats, if that's okay with him. He instantly agreed, saying it doesn't matter where he sits, all that matters is with whom. This really got me confused, but I let it slide anyway.

I was happy with seat and the person didn't seem bad either. So, I thought of introducing myself.

I turned towards him,"Hey, thanks a lot for today. And I'm.." Before completing, he stopped me, "Listen, let's skip our introductions. Let that be a mystery. Let's just be friends, so that we can spend the boring travel time in a better way. So, what do you think?"