Chapter 1: The Time Draws Near

Serah Iracia Obscurum

First princess of the kingdom of Obscurum in the realm of Iracundia.

That was who I was in front of the caelestians, a quiet child that followed the orders of the council. I was a scourge of the realms, a being that was never supposed to exist. I was a sin of my parents or so I was told. Inside of me lived a being of nothingness. She controlled death at her fingertips. She was my dark side. The side I never showed.

I used to stay in Iracundia, the realm of darkness. The demons rule this realm, my father is known as the king of demons. I was told when I was younger that my mother died after giving birth to me. I was raised by my step mother, the queen. But she always made sure that I was told that I was a useless child. In front of caelestians, my parents made it look that I was loved but behind closed doors, it was a whole different story. All my life, I had to train in the arts of assassination.

What better way to use a child of darkness than to protect the crown prince. That's right... I became the personal body guard for my brother at the age of 10.

When I was thirteen I ran away from Iracundia. For five years I kept myself hidden. I knew they would send someone to look for me. I was their kingdom's deadliest weapon after all, a deadly weapon that could go against the other realms. But my realms number one enemy was Avarice, the realm of light, the angel's territory.

Light against darkness... Darkness against light

It's weird to think that I had the strongest eternal essence of all the realms. Our realm controlled the darkness, fire and earth. Whereas Avarice controlled the light, wind and water. Both of the realms were complete opposites, which made them the perfect enemies.

The remaining three realms kept to themselves. They got along with the rest of the realms but there was always good and evil lurking. Oh right... I'm getting of the topic again... the reason I ran away was because I was tired of how they treated me. A caelestian could only take so much until they burst.

It's like a bottle of soda. You keep shaking it till the gas bubbles up and without even realizing it. You open it and the gas will spill everywhere. It's like a person's feelings. You can only take so much until you can't anymore and so for the last two moons of my life. I've been residing here on Terrae.

The human realm

I am twenty years old this year. This year would be seven years that I had escaped from there. It almost feels like a dream that I could wake up from any time, even though I am living in the human world. I have to always be on alert, always watching my back, making sure that I don't run into any caelestians.

The humans that reside in this realm are very kind. In order to live here I had to create a human shell. I had to lock my dark side inside of me. This made me a complete human. But once in a while I could feel the essence of myself leaking out. I could feel her anger rotting inside of me just waiting to be released.

I gazed at my reflection. Dull grey eyes gazed back at me. Droplets of water from my hair dropped to the tiles. Steam had flooded the room from the shower that I had. Making the mirror foggy but not to the point where I couldn't see myself.

The person staring back at me is a totally different person. Her hair the color of light and her eyes the color of darkness. I twirl a strand of my hair. The person in the mirror is my true caelestian form. I sometimes think that maybe one day when I look back into the mirror. I will see a completely different person. Someone who is brave, that is confident, that she will be happy with a smile on her face.