Chapter 16| An old friendship

"Can we get something to eat?" Aremiah asks as we step out of the hallway and into the courtyard. After she had slept, she had finally calmed down which made me get ready for the day.

I stopped when I saw the bars of my prison.

"You'll have to go on without me little one. As much as I'd love to eat something with you, I just can't go-" I was interrupted.

"Let her pass," A calm but gentle voice answered.

I turned back to the entrance of the gates. Aremiah gleefully squealed and ran forward into his arms.

I didn't move for a while as I stood there taking his appearance in. It's been seven long years since I had seen him. He was my best friend. And he was the only person that knew my secret of how I escaped.

"It's been a long time Iracia; it's nice to see you after so long." Daemeon smiles as he gawked at me. He always called me by my second name ever since we were children. The way he spoke made me feel like I was back to when things were okay.

His hair was long, black with stripes of light purple streaks, his striking grey eyes piercing me. He wore a long robed black purple hanfu that reminded me of what a country on Terrae used to use in ancient times.

And I must admit that he looked good wearing it. I smiled back at him as he came inside the courtyard.

"Daemeon I-," he pulled me into his arms.

"I missed you." His scent was still as I remembered, freshly brewed ginger milk.

I sniffled, "I missed you too."

Backing away, he held out his hand for me and I graciously took it as he guided me out of my cage.

When I inhaled the dark air of Iracundia, it felt so nostalgic, because right now I was outside of my confinement and maybe just maybe, I'll have a word with the king.

The guards trained the sword at me, waiting to see if I'd react. It was just the other day when I was here. When I had to meet the council, Dante had taken me through a portal. And when we returned, it was night with barely any light.

"Stand down, I will take it from here," Daemeon raises his hand to show them that I mean no harm to them. The guards then went back to their positions.

"Let's go, let's go," Aremiah says in a sing-song voice.

We walked through the many courtyards of the palace, through many different gardens. Through the undead flowers that bloomed. Daemeon and I remained silent as we strolled through the palace. Lots of eyes were on us but no one dared to speak their mind or point their fingers.

Forbidden and undead flowers blossomed in their wake as we passed a gloomy palace. The atmosphere was dark but the flowers brightened the area a bit. The sky was reddened in color.

Iracundia, the land with no light, the land of the night, the land that's in eternal darkness

It was during the day that the red clouds would cover the skies, blocking away the sunlight. It's always been that way for millenniums.

"Ira? Iracia?"

I was broken out of my reverie. Daemeon had his head lowered towards me. One of his hands was holding my hand in his while his other hand was on my shoulder, his grey eyes staring deep into mine. I blinked a few times and stepped away from him.

"Sorry... I-"

I was cut off by a spear!

A spear came flying towards me at full speed, I tilted my head to the right as the spear jabbed itself on the pillar directly behind me.

I felt rage swell inside me.

But I couldn't use my powers... not here... not now...

I couldn't scare my baby sister...

My sister!

I gasped and searched for her. I turned around to look behind the pillar and the courtyard until I felt a tug on my wrist. Daemeon held my wrist and motioned behind him.

Aremiah was safely tucked inside of his robe. She clung to his leg as she looked up at me with her fearful obsidian eyes. I gulped and lowered myself down to her level.

"No one will hurt you. You're going to be safe. I promise," I smiled, "Stay by uncle Daemeon's side while we check what happened, okay?"

Aremiah weakly nodded and stayed hidden in his robe. I stood up and glanced at him as he had an amusing smile on his face.

"Am I that old to be called uncle?" He chuckled. I snickered, "Maybe." I mumbled under my breath.

Turning towards the spear, I examined it and I knew instantly who it belonged to. From the blue and white flame sigils that were engraved in them to the black tips of the spear.

Footsteps were running towards us and I pulled the spear from the pillar. Low growling and hissing from the caelestians that showed up. I glanced at them.

Alex appeared as if he wasn't scared of my presence, whereas Zecane was fuming with anger.

With much force, but not much strength, I hurled the spear at Zecane, "You can have this back!"

Before it could pierce his eyes, Zecane grabbed it as he dematerialized it. "Be careful where you throw your weapons! You could have hurt someone." I scoffed at him.

"As if my intentions weren't on point. You were always my target dear little sister." His eyes burned brightly as he smirked.

"I don't give a damn if you wanted to hurt me but at least think about your youngest sister." As soon as I said his sister, his expression wavered.

Zecane turned to Daemeon and both his and Alex's expressions paled as they stared at Daemeon. He calmly pulled his robes to the side to reveal Aremiah.

Zecane cursed and rubbed the back of his head. He was after all in deep trouble. Of course, he could have hurt me, I wasn't his real sister. But for him to have almost targeted his baby sister, well it's time for him to get his punishment. And not only him, but Alex also deserved some punishment as well.

Daemeon had witnessed everything so he had a say on the matter when it came to the little princess's safety. He wasn't dressed as an official for just anything.

Aremiah pulled herself away from Daemeon as she put her arms out. I immediately picked her up as she wrapped her little arms around my neck.

"Do I need to tell her majesty about what happened or will the two of you do it on your own?" Daemeon stepped forward glaring at the two with his arms crossed.

"No, we'll do it," Zecane replied as he pulled Alex along with him walking away from us.

I let out a sigh as Daemeon glanced at me, "Now let's get the two princesses some food." He had a smile on his face and I thought that maybe just maybe...

For a little while... things between us could go back to how they used to be...

•°•°•