Chapter 4: Learning the Ways

I woke up surrounded by darkness and silence. I'd forgotten the office didn't have windows. I didn't know what time it was, not since the last clock stopped working. I figured I wasn't going to sleep much more, so I got up.

I put my sweater back on, then my belt, with my gun and knife, then I left my room to explore. I crept down the hallway and stopped at the end, observing their sleeping arrangements. They were scattered all over the place, on the floor, on desks, couches, anything you could think of to sleep on, they did.

I was looking around, wanting to find our more about what was in the school. I went across the room to a pair of double doors and looked through the little glass window slot. It was completely dark and ominous. I scanned the darkness, wondering why they had cut it off instead of using it. I put my hand up to the doorknob, but heard a noise.

I swiveled around ripping my gun out of its holster, turning to face Adam. He was leaning against a column, shirtless and raw. He had an amazingly defined chest. His abs were nice... He was a catch if I've ever seen one.

He put his hand on the gun, and lowered it. "Relax," he said reassuringly, "You're okay." He gave me a sweet look. I put my gun back and looked away, not wanting to get attached to him in the off chance he does one day.

"You don't have to be on edge anymore. This place is basically secure," he told me.

"Umm..." I said, "basically?"

"Well yeah, I mean no place is ever completely secure."

"That's true. But if you think of it like that, you'll never get any where."

"Mhmm. So, uh... What were you doing?"

"I figured if I'm going to stay, I had to learn the layout."

He stood strait, "then why didn't you ask one of us for a tour?"

"I needed time to think," I told him, looking down, avoiding his glassy, blue-eyed gaze.

We stood quietly for a minute, until Adam spoke, "you hungry?"

"I could eat," I said.

"Ok, come on, we've got plenty of food."

He turned around and walked into the office he slept in, and came out in a white v-neck. "Sorry I didn't have a shirt on earlier."

I laughed out loud, "oh that's just fine, I didn't care."

"So you liked it?" He asked.

"Now, I didn't say that, I just didn't object to your nakedness because it wasn't... Well, a bad thing..." I told him.

"You did." He said quietly. I smirked, agreeing with him in my mind. "Come on, I'm hungry," he said, and we left the office.

We went down two small flights if stairs, and down a slightly candle lit hallway. We came to a door in the middle of it and went in. He flipped on a light switch.

"You have lights?" I asked him.

"There were generators hooked up... They should've run out by now, but whatever, we'll just use them while we can." He said.

I looked around. The room was piled high with food.

"Wow! You guys are jacked," I said.

"It's taken us a little over a month to get all this," Adam told me, looking though cans. "Help yourself," he told me. I nodded and went around the corner of the mass of cans. I scanned the labels for things I liked. In this world, I'd like anything, but there was a pretty big selection so I figured Id be picky- just this once.

I saw fruits, pineapple. I hadn't had pineapple in months! I took it off a stack, found a can opener on the counter, and opened it. I looked around. And they actually had plastic utensils. I took a fork and started eating. I went back around the corner of the mound, and Adam was no where to be seen. I called his name, no answer. I called it again, nothing. I said it about four times, and got no reaction. Then I heard a bunch of cans fall behind me.

"Uhhg! Adam you scared me! For a second I thought you were a-" I turned around to face a man, one that I knew, it was the guy from my camp- the one that is stolen the guns from.

"HA!" He said, "I knew if find you here!" He yelled pointing a gun at my face... It was Adams gun.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked him, my heart rate steadily rising.

"Oh, this? I got it off some scum kid. This kid, perhaps?" He stepped completely in view, grasping Adam, who of which's face was all bloody.

I showed no emotion, worried about what he would do if I did, "what do you want? How did you find me?" I asked.

"Have you forgotten? I'm an expert tracker!" He said, with an slight insane tone in his voice. "I followed you! You made it particularly easy, almost like you wanted me to!" He yelled maniacally.

"What do you want?" I asked him, sassily.

"Oh honey, you still haven't gotten my message?! I want what you took from me." He told me.

"I didn't take anything from you, you stupid ass," I said. It was probably not a good idea to insult him, but I felt the need to.

"Oh, your getting feisty. I just want my guns back, and I'll leave you be." He said, calm again.

"Not everyone gets what they want," I said, and quickly whipped my gun out of it holster, and pulled the trigger, shooting him in the thigh.

He screamed in pain, and fell to the ground, letting go of Adam, who bolted towards me. He ran past me and out the door. I shot the man (his name is Evan) in the head, killing him, and ran after Adam.