Chapter 14: Starting a New

So it turns out they did stop.

"Hey," the guy on the Harley said, "are you guys okay out here?"

Adam, standing in front of us, looked at us reassuringly. Then he spoke for us. "We're okay. You guys seem to be doing pretty well..."

"We've got a camp. Are you guys looking for one?" An Asian said stepping out of the truck.

"We might be," Adam replied.

"You guys can come with us, but you won't be aloud fully in until our leader knows he can trust you all," The Asian said, "by the way, I'm Glenn, and this is Daryl." Daryl waved at us.

Glenn was a relatively nice guy who looked like he had his head in right. But then you look at Daryl and he completely resembled the hicks that beat me in the woods, I inched past him cautiously to get in the back of the truck.

We were sitting there watching the surroundings fly by, the occasional walker get excited and then sulk because we were too fast. It was a moment of freedom, until we got to this big neighborhood full of gigantic houses. I hoped every rich fool that lived here died an ugly death because they never did anything to help anyone with their money, and I knew that deep in my heart. The neighborhood was completely clear of walkers. They had people posted every hundred yards guarding their boundaries. I gave them credit, they were all heavily armed, and suited up in what looked like riot gear. They looked like they had this apocalypse beaten.

The truck went into a cul-de-sac and around to the furthest house, it also looked to be the biggest. A man with very raggedy facial hair stepped out onto the doorstep, squinting to see through the sunlight. He eyed us in the back of the truck and his expression flattened. Glenn told us to stay there. He and Daryl walked up to him. They stood whispering for a few moments, the man nodded, and they all came down to us.

"Hi, I'm Rick," he said, "before we welcome you here, we need to ask you some questions- separately."

We nodded. "Okay, you three boys can go with Glenn and Daryl, Maggie and I will question you," Rick said looking to me, "but first, please put your weapons in the truck, all of them."

"Whoa whoa I never agreed to tha-" Adam started, and I interrupted.

"Adam, We're fine." He nodded, and we put down our stuff, got out of the truck and they took us into the house. We went through grand hallways, down a corridor, and into a nice room. It looked like the master bedroom.

"Have a seat," Rick said, "this is Maggie." I smiled a little, and looked back at Rick.

"I have three questions," he instructed, "answer them honestly, and I'll make my decision."

This felt like a test, and I didn't exactly trust any of these people.

"How many walkers have you killed?" He asked blatantly. I sat there. I looked at him, then the girl Maggie, then back at him.

"You expect me to count?" I asked him a little edgily. He sat there emotionless. He looked angry all of a sudden, and then chuckled.

"Ive been waiting so long for an answer that amused me, and there it was," he said smiling. I looked at Maggie and she was laughing as well. Then it got serious again.

"How many people have you killed," he asked, refocusing.

How many people have you killed? Did I know? What was I supposed to say?
I was quiet for a little bit, thinking.

"That depends... What would your definition of "people" be?" I asked him.

"Anything that wasn't trying to eat you," he replied, with an odd expression of worry, that I'd say something wrong.

"Then you know, none." Not planning on telling anyone here about Evan.

"Okay then, thank you." Rick said, and looked at Maggie.

That was only two questions, but I was in no mood to answer any more, so I forgot about it.

"Welcome to... Well, here." She said,
"Every time someone had a fancy name, they couldn't be trusted."

I nodded in agreement and we all got up and exited. Walking down the hallway, we met up with Daryl and Glenn- but no Cameron, or Adam, or Jack. What the hell did they do?

Maggie stopped me, and they walked forward a little bit, not wanting me to hear what they were discussing.

I inched closer to them, ever so slightly, to where I could just make out their conversation.

"The girl, she passed... But her second answer wasn't acceptable. I'll get it out of her. How about the boys?" He asked them.

My answer wasn't acceptable? He was going to get it out of me? What?

"We need you to go talk to them," Glenn said.

"Why?" Rick asked.

"We just wanted you to make sure, there's something not right about that boy Adam, the other two are okay though," Daryl said.

What was wrong with Adam? Oh my god, what did he do? Thoughts were whizzing through my head. What had he done? What had he- or hadn't he admitted? I guess I was just going to find out.

"I somewhat trust the girl, but how about we keep the guys there for tonight, and see if they try anything stupid or do anything. Then tomorrow we'll make the final decision.

Okay so they are keeping them in a room for the night, I guess that's acceptable.

"Where are my friends?" I asked them, walking up to their circle.

"Rick has to make the final decision about them. You'll see them in the morning," Maggie said.

Will I really see them in the morning?