Chapter 5: Battle Grounds

I burst out the door, freaking out. Was he okay?

"Adam!" I yelled his name. Just then I heard multiple footsteps coming down the stairs. All the guys came down, wielding weapons.

"Guys!" I yelled, "Relax! I killed him!"

"Katie, don't move," Adam said.

"What? What do you me-" just then, gunshots rang out behind me. I hit the deck immediately and crawled back into the cafeteria room I just left. I felt a bullet skim my skin, ripping away at the flesh on my thigh. I yelled, that had been the first time I'd ever been shot (well not really, just skimmed) but i felt as though it hurt worse to be skimmed than shot. The pain set in immediately. I sat in the room, gripping my leg. Gunshots were ringing through the halls, I could here it so clearly. What was going on? Did Evan bring an Army?

After a couple minutes, the shots wound down, and after another, they stopped. Adam yelled my name.

"I'm in the cafeteria!" I yelled back to him. I heard more footsteps, and the entire group of guys burst through the door. I stood up, leaning against a locker, covering my wound. (I didn't want them seeing it and freaking out)

"What the hell was that?!" I asked them, out of breath.

"I don't know!" Adam said. I sighed, and stormed out the door. If they were with Evan, I would recognize them. As I was limping down the hallway I heard the door swing open.

"Katie what are you doing?" I heard Jack yell. But I just kept walking. I knew those people, how could they do this?

I got down to the pile of shot up bodies. I went down the line, lifting up the heads to see if I recognized them. I knew every one of them. All the guys stood watching me, letting me do what It was that I wanted to do.

"I knew them, I knew them all..." I yelled down the hallway to them. "I hated them. Every single one..." I got done with examining them, and emptied my rounds in their heads, so they wouldn't come back as walkers. I finished, and marched angrily back to the guys.

"You're hurt," Cameron said, breaking then awkward silence.

"I know, and I'm fine. Don't worry about me," I told them, reassuring them.

"Come on, let's head upstairs, we can leave them there for now." Adam said. We listened to him, and headed up.