Chapter 17: What Did I Do?

After my small blowout with Adam, I went into the house, laid down on a couch, and was asleep in give minutes. I woke up the next morning in a better mood.

I got up and went outside to see everyone gathered around a car. I went up to them.

"What's going on?" I asked Rick, who was hanging over a map of the area. Adam was standing a ways away with Cameron and Jack talking. Adam was glaring at me. Again with those stupid blue eyes!

"We're going to scope out some of the area, would you like to help? Just about everyone's coming except Beth and a couple of newbies, and Glenn is staying to make sure they're safe and to host down the fort," Rick informed me.

"No I think I'll rest for today," I told him. He nodded and went back to his debriefing. I went back into the house to find Glenn in the kitchen.

"Hi," he said, "do you want some?" He held out grapes.

"Where were these?" I asked, taking two.

"A little ways into the woods," he told me.

"That's cool," I replied. It started getting very awkward.

"So, Katie. I haven't heard much about you."

"There isn't much to tell, I mean, basically I've been alone probably this whole time."

"Daryl told me about uh.." He said trailing off.

"Did he? That little dick!" I said getting angry, but then relaxing, "he showed me the same thing on his stomach... Do you know where that came from?"

"My guess is he got it from the same people. We found him about two miles away from that camp almost dead. He had been beaten and branded and cut and who knows what else by them. They didn't trust him, so they didn't let him live in comfort. Pretty interesting though, how they didn't do anything to Adam."

"I'm sorry what?" I asked him.

"Oh... Do you not know? Well, that was the group he started in in this whole thing. He was an original member. His dad ran the entire camp. I think his name was Ethan... Or Emil... I know it started with an E," Glenn said.

"Was it Evan?" I asked him, almost losing my balance at this poisonous information.

"Evan! That's it! Yeah, it's that!" He said cluelessly. I stood for about five seconds, and then bounded out the house. I walked vastly down the drive way to Adam. (The group hadn't left yet) I got to him, and slugged his face. I hit him so hard he fell down

"You stupid douche bag!" I yelled, "that bitch was your Father?!"

"What?!" He asked frantically, getting up.

"When we went down to restock cans for the office and I told you about the other camp I'd been to! That man that hurt me so much! HE WAS YOUR FATHER! You never told me! God Adam it's like I hate you more every minute that passes!" I screamed. I was so mad I didn't even notice the dozen people watching.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" He yelled back, holding his bleeding nose.

"Evan." I said blankly. Then it finally clicked in Adams brain.

"No! You weren't suppose to know!" He slipped.

"I wasn't suppose to know that the man that did this to me was your father?!" I yelled yanking my shirt to reveal the blistered 'E' on my lower rib cage.

"No Katie, I swear to you I was going to tell you, I just needed the right moment!" He said, his tone weakening.

"Well it's too late now! You stay the hell away from me, Adam. Just stay away!" I yelled. I turned and took a step in the direction of the house when he grabbed me and turned me around. He grabbed both my shoulders, and kissed me. Just flat out laid his lips on mine. But of course, why would I fight it? Deep in my heart, no matter who his father was, I knew I liked him, just a little bit.

We stopped after a few seconds. He stood tall over me, waiting for a response, really, waiting for anything.

In the heat of the moment, I did the only thing I thought I should. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. He just went with it. Then we stopped after a few seconds, realizing that we were in the company of other people, looked at each other again, and laughed. Just flat out laughed.

"Rick... Could I take a rain check on this patrol?" Adam asked.

"I think I could let it slide," he told him. Adam nodded his head a little, then wrapped his arm around me, and we went inside- and for the remainder of the evening, we talked.