2.9

w f t

I'm sitting with Grayson. He hasn't talked much these past couple of days. Ethan isn't waking up, and he's worried. We all are.

"Tell me a story." Grayson whispers.

I look around, then at him. He looks straight into my eyes. "Um-"

"I'm gonna go insane. Please."

I gulp, nodding. He's quiet and it's scaring me. I think, then chuckle. "Once, I thought Ethan was gay. He hadn't had a girlfriend...ever. So I was talking to him, and then I kissed him. He screamed like a girl, and I was like 'what!?' And he was like 'dude what the hell!?' I was like 'you're not gay!?' And he replied 'hell no!' I was so embarrassed."

Grayson doesn't do anything, but three seconds later we're both cracking up laughing.

"Hey boys." Layla walks over to us. She slumps down, leaning against me. "Do any of us know anything?"

"No." We mumble.

She groans. "This is bullshit."

"You're telling me."

"Boys?" Lisa walks out, clearly sad. And then she spots Layla. "Oh love." Lisa starts crying.

"Mom? What's wrong?" Grayson jumps up, rushing over to hug her.

"Is...is he going to be alright?" Layla whispers.

Lisa cries a bit longer, then gathers herself. She sniffles and wipes her tears. After sighing, she looks up to us. "Thad he thing...They aren't really sure. The wound has worsened, causing him to fall ill."

"What?" Layla's voice cracks.

I stand up, hugging her.

"No, no he's going to be alright. I know he is. He's strong, he's Ethan. Ethan is strong, I-" She breaks down. "I know he will be okay."

I hug her tightly. "You're right, Layla." She looks up at me. "Ethan is hella strong-" Layla stifles a small giggle. "he is going to be just fine. I'm his best friend, and I've never been more sure about anything in my life."

We all smile at each other.

Then, the unbelievable happens. "Code blue! Code blue! Room 236!"

Time slows down.

"That's fucking Ethan's room!" Grayson shouts, and he sprints.