Black and White

Alissa POV

I was in a interview and the woman asked me about Jake and I responded.

''Thank you for breaking me; isn't that a line from Sinead O'Connor? I never understood it before. It used to sound like permission, albeit retroactive, to hurt someone. I get it now. Only a lover can wound so deep, cut to the very core. That level of trauma has to be an inside job. You broke me and watched me bleed. You saw me fail to eat, fail to sleep, and you kept on the pressure with your lies and manipulations, increasing the level of cruelty as you went. After all that, what can there be left underneath but the untouchable part of me, my soul, the girl you can never hurt. I can't be more raw than that, more exposed, more pure. So thank you, because as Sinead said, "now I have a strong, strong heart, thank you, thank you for breaking my heart."

''That was well said so now I will let you sing you're new single dead''

I smile and I close my eyes and start singing .

I finally stop and gain a huge applause and the interviewer asked.

''Explain some of the lyrics''

I smile happily and start

  You could be here, but you're there
You could be anywhere and these days I don't even care no more  

  She doesn't ever really know where her 'verging on ex-lover' is, it started happening so much, that she decided she shouldn't worry anymore, because she would rather focus on herself and the people that are there for her and love her.  

  You only be showing me love whenever you've had too much
Whatever's been filling your cup, no more  

  it's saying he only comes to her or loves her when he's had to much to drink, and she won't take it anymore  

  Baby, no more showing up when you're not sober
At my front door just to say you're alone tonight

  She doesn't want him to show up at her door when he's drunk  

  Yeah, tryna fuck me and my mind up

  She is saying that the person that she says that shows up at her front door just fucks her mind up and makes her feel bad  

It's a reminder you're a liar and you know I'm right  

Her ex boyfriend cheated many times

  You say you can't live without me
So why aren't you dead yet?
Why you still breathing?
If you say you can't live without me
Then why aren't you dead yet?
Why do you say that?

  Basically the song is to show how much words can hurt someone. that person telling she that he can't live without her didn't truly mean his words. so why isn't he dead yet?  

  You could be here but you're not, I give whatever you want
But you just take it and run, you run (oh run, run)
And I give you so many shots but you just drinkin' 'em all
You never give it a thought, oh lord (yeah)

  In this line she refers to her giving him many chances but not having him pull through and prove himself worthy enough. Instead he carries on loving her only while drunk even after he's been given chance after chance to prove himself.  

She plays on the word "shots", and gives it two meanings. The first being the amount of chances she's giving him and the second being the fact that he keeps drinking shots of alcohol to get himself drunk, turning the chances she keeps giving him, an excuse to drink. He's only in love with her when his brain is filled with alcohol. He doesn't care or think; he just acts.

  Be careful what you say
Say only what you mean
Mean to me then you're nice
You're nice, you're nice
It's nice to know you now
Now that it all went down
Down on your knees you cry
You cry, you cry, yeah

  The phrases "Mean What You Say" and "Say What You Mean" don't apply to the subject of the song's knowledge, they can lie and manipulate her as much as they want and get what they want. They know the exact words to get into her head, whether they mean it or not.  

(this may be a stretch, this is what I'm thinking, if they are any suggestions I can consider them)
"Mean to me, then you're nice" marks the definition of an emotionally manipulative and abusive relationship to anyone in this case, she and the person she was/is with. By talking down to her, they are able to trigger her in the way they want and control her emotions. They come back around later and are happy to see her; because they are drunk, hoping Madison will do what they want, again.  

''I loved him but he is dead to me now''I said finally closing the interview.