Live While We're Young

"Lets go crazy, crazy, crazy till we see the sun" 

"Wait what?" Shae asked when I talked to her and Clary later that night via skype "We're actually going to that party? OH MY GOD YES!" She squealed "This is so awesome I've been dying to go to a party for like ever!" 

Clary laughed "You've gone to a party before Shae." 

"Not a popular party." She said and I saw her roll her eyes "This is the best! Okay so Friday night, Clary we're going to your house Ness after school so we can all get ready together that sound perfect?" 

"Yes Shae." I said laughing "That sounds 'perfect.'" 

Shae smiled "Great--" 

"Vanessa!" I heard my dad's voice call from downstairs "Can you come down here?" 

"I gotta go." I sighed "Talk to you guys later." With that I hung up and stood up before moving to my door and heading downstairs. 

I reached the front hall where my dad was to see he had just gotten home seeing as he was setting down his brief case and in his work suit and tie. "Hey dad." I greeted smiling as I gave him a quick hug "How was work?" 

"Pretty good, listen you remember how I have to organize the towns founding anniversary?" He asked not even bothering to beat around the bush

I nodded my head "Of course." 

"Right well, I told you how we would also be doing the Willows Crest Golden Girl Ball?" 

"Yes dad." I said trying not to roll my eyes. 

"Alright well, I want you and Ryder to be partners." 

My eyebrows shot up in surprise "Excuse me?" 

"It would be great for my campaign and image sweetie." My dad explained "I mean after all taking in Ryder was great but if he and my daughter attended the ball together that would make it even better because it would really look as though I have welcomed Ryder to a part of our family." 

"And by me and Ryder going together people will think that?" I asked "Dad what if Ryder doesn't even want to go with me? He has a decision in this too." 

"I know that Vanessa." My dad said looking at me pointedly and determined "But he will agree." 

I rolled my brown eyes without thinking but luckily my dad didn't catch it "Whatever, are you working Friday night?" 

"Yes I beleive so, late night at the office I'm afraid. Why?" 

"Oh me, Clary, and Shae were just planning on going out that's all." 

"Oh well yeah sure you can go just stay safe alright?" He asked as he walked towards the kitchen. I sighed before starting back up the stairs. 

"So we're going to the ball together?" 

I jumped as I spun on my heel to face Ryder who was leaning against the wall right near the stairs. "Jesus don't do that!" I hissed holding a hand to my racing heart. 

He chuckled holding up his hands in mock surrender "Sorry Lennon." 

I raised an eyebrow jokingly "What's with the sudden nickname?" 

Ryder nodded to my opened bedroom door where my Beatles records were displayed across the walls "I saw you were a fan of the Bealtes.... plus everyone at school calls you the Record Store Geek and John Lennon was one of the Beatles right? He sang Imagine."