12. Frightening Event! Again?

Scarlett was downstairs, in her private office of the mansion, studying the paperwork and the financial reports when an uncertain sound grabbed her attention, but soon, brushed it off as she averted her concentration back on the file in front of her.

Right after, the same noise was heard, this time quite clearer as she gasped at the sudden influence. From then, it became frequent and her heart raced. Scarlett's condition worsened when the footsteps turned audible and the nastiest part was, she felt someone forthcoming.

Her breathings turned brisk and with a swift motion, the room to the study, which was slightly opened earlier, parted completely leaving her alarmed and as an instant reaction, she closed her eyes tight.

"Dear, it's me! Why do you look so petrified?" Scarlett has never been so reassured and she let out a sigh of relief, spotting Julia at the office's doorway. Her mother continued, "Why are you still up?" She asked, her eyes laughing as she still carried a disgruntled face. She waited for her to respond.

"You frightened me!" Scarlett declared and soon continued, "I was restless and couldn't sleep." She stated in a flat tone.

"Are you alright?" She frowned, making her eyes twist in annoyance, "Of course, mom, I have a milestone to reach. Let me concentrate," she hissed as she passed her a pointed gaze. She could not understand why she suddenly turned snappy. Probably, she gave her a shock and her concentration wavered.

"Okay, I'm leaving. I'm really tired, sweetheart," she stifled a yawn as she wryly smiled, "Don't stress yourself." Saying so, she partially closed the door and disappeared.

"Good night, mom." She muttered nonchalantly irrespective of the fact that she'd already left. A while later, Scarlett involuntarily pressed her nape, upon feeling the ache around the neck residing slowly.

Probably, a warm shower would absolutely help to relax her nervous system. Scarlett checked the wall clock and it showed quarter past 2 in midnight. A low grunt escaped her lips as she shifted all the folders aside and stepped out of the study in no time.

Scarlett was undressing when her gaze accidentally landed on her reflection inside her bathroom and ended up intently staring at her face. She studied herself, twisting her head from left to right.

"What have I done to myself?" She mentally questioned herself. According to her, she totally replicates like a person experiencing an emotional and mental breakdown. Scarlett realized that little things made her easily drained and the stress had made her skin a bit paler, causing her to look older than she actually was.

Her thoughts reminded her of a certain conversation that took place between Aaron and her. He said she was one of the most attractive women that he had ever met in his entire existence. Reminiscing about it brought a small smile to her face. Such things never forget to bring a smile. Nevertheless, it's not as if many men haven't approached her before her engagement with Aaron and it always made her think that, was it because they found her stunning or was it because she was the owner of one of the wealthiest companies in the country. Scarlett couldn't really tell.

Unmistakably, she remembers them asking her out for dates and events, however, being included with such a profession like business, one cannot be sure if all of that was genuine or one of their strategies to crack deals and get a hold on the proceeds.

Additionally, Aaron has always reminded me that she's one unbeaten, gorgeous and attractive woman. However, it does not matter to her if she was actually one. Being the most chivalrous person, he never let her feel differently. Although, she doesn't care if someone does not find her attractive. Scarlett has always thought that the only person she has to please with her appearance is herself.