Chapter 10

-Day-

 “Mom!” I exclaimed when I walked inside my house for the first time in a year.

 “Day Annaleigh Howards!” my mom yelled trying to look mad at me but failed.

 I wrapped my arms around her burring my face into her shoulder with tears running down my cheeks.

 “Can we watch the movie I asked for?” I asked.

 She pulled out a DVD case. It had the title in magazine cut out letters that spelt “Player, Player.”  Under the title was the names of the starring actors. “Jenna James and Chase Lovelace.”

 “Yeah,” Mom said, “but I thought you hated teen movies.”

 I didn’t answer her I just took the movie from her hands and put it into the DVD player. I skipped through the previews of movies that had been out since I was fifth teen. The play menu popped up and I hit play.

 I watched as Chase played the obnoxious jerkoff player and as Jenna James played the sweet girl that had a secret crush on him. Finally it was the final scene.

 “Carly, please just listen to me!” Chase said with a hint of desperation.

 “What do you want, Trey?” Jenna said with a hint of anger and sadness.

 “I- I know what I did was a mistake.” He ran a hand through his hair. I remembered how soft it felt on my fingertips, “I was scared.”

 Jenna gave him a dirty look, “Scared of what?”

 “Of what I was feeling for you. I never meant to hurt you, I swear.”

 Jenna looked at her feet looking like she was crumbling under his gaze.

 “I’m sorry, but I promise when I said that I love you, that I meant it.” He lifted her chin up so she would be looking at him.

 “I love you, Carly Addison Morris.” Chase said against her lips.

 “I love you, too.” She whispered.

And the movie ended with a tender kiss.

 “That was terrible!” my mom said.

 “Yes it was.” I agreed.

 Mom turned on the T.V. to “E”. The hostess was doing an interview. It took me a moment to realize it was Chase who she was interviewing.

 “So, Chase, you had dissappered for a few weeks.” Chase nodded and the hostess went on flipping her blond hair over her shoulder, “Where were you did you meet anyone that sparked your interest?”

 Sadness spread across his face. “I was in Tennessee and as for anyone sparking my interest, maybe.”

 Maybe! We had sex!

 I heard Mom choked on her tea. “You what?!”

I didn’t think I said it out loud, but I shushed her.

 “Ooh Tennessee, do you have family there?”

 Chase laughed and put on his pretty boy smile, “No I don’t.”

 “What about this person that maybe has sparked your interest?”

 Chase ran a hand through his dark hair, “Let’s just say I screwed up any chance I had with her.”

 The hostess didn’t say anything for a while. She looked at Chase with sympathy.

 “Well, it seems our playboy is head over heels for this mystery girl. That’s-“

 “Her name is Day.” He interrupted.

 “Well, I hope everything works out for you Chase.” She placed her hand on his and smiled warmly at him. “Well that’s all the time we have. It was nice seeing you Chase.”

 “Nice seeing you too, Kamron.”

 They hugged and it went to commercial.

 “Day?” Mom asked?

 “Yeah?” I said not meeting her eyes.

 “Is he talking about you?”

 “Yeah.” I said rising to my feet, “Mom let’s not talk about this. I’m going back to school tomorrow and I don’t need to be upset.”

 She didn’t say anything as I went to my room. I shut the door and sat down. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a rumpled piece of paper that I had looked at so many times. Chases cell number looked back up at me from my hands with two words that were so tempting to do; “Call me.”