5 // protection

Have you ever had that one class that you can just not stand to go to? It is the one class you have with everyone you hate, the teacher is a jerk, and the material is super difficult to understand? That is how my 5th period science class is.

I am in that class with every single popular kid in my grade, which might sound like fun for any normal student, but it is hell for me. I don't fit in with any of them, and I have a bad reputation with them. They think I am the loser kid that smokes weed every second of everyday, talk to no one, and only wears black.

Well, they weren't totally off.

I'm that kid that nobody wants to sit next to because they are afraid they will catch my lameness, the kid that everyone laughs at when they pass by in the hall, and the kid that is known for her messed up parents that were busted and put in jail.

I'm just thankful that I only have three months left, then I can graduate and leave this prison for the rest of my life.

I dragged my feet into Mr. Stevens classroom, wanting to do nothing more than walk right back out and run away. I noticed a few girls stopped talking when I walked in, one of them whispering to the other and both laughing.

I rolled my eyes and made my way to the back corner, my usual seat. Slung my bag on the back of the chair and slumped down into my chair. I looked up to see if the girls had quit looking, and I saw that they were talking to that Shawn kid that bumped into me in starbucks. He looked mad and they looked annoyed.

He walked back to his seat and noticed I was watching him. He grinned at me before sitting down in the first row.

I glanced back at the girls and they weren't looking at me anymore. Did Shawn just tell them to fuck off? What the heck?

The second bell rang and Mr. Stevens walked in from the hall. He gave us an assignment, like usual, and began working. Well I did anyway, the rest of the kids broke into small talk.

I finished the worksheet before everyone else and turned it in. The class only had 20 minutes left, so I put my head down and waited it out. The lack of sleep caught up to me, my eyelids got heavy and I drifted off to sleep.

+

"Hey. Hey wake up, the bell just rang," a hand was on my shoulder gently shaking me awake.

I pulled my head up off the desk and wiped my eyes. How could I be so careless as to fall asleep at school? I noticed the classroom was empty.

I glanced at the hand that was still on my shoulder and followed it to a familiar pair of hazel eyes.

Shawn quickly realized he still had is hand on me and quickly took it off, scratching the back of his neck in awkwardness.

"Sorry."

"It's okay," I said getting my backpack off the chair and going quickly out the door.

What was his deal with me? I kept my head down as my classmates passed by me.

As I walked swiftly down the halls, I felt a presence beside me. I took my eyes off my shoes and glanced at them, not surprised to see Shawn.

"I don't need you to protect me," I bluntly stated, looking at the lockers and searching for mine.

"It's not a problem," I could tell he was trying to be smooth. That card would work on any other girl, but not me.

I found my locker and began putting in the combination. He leaned up against the locker next to mine, not taking his eyes off me.

"Let me rephrase, I don't want you to protect me."

"Why? Surely it gets hard doing it all by yourself all the time," I looked at him skeptically. The way he said it make me think he knew all my secrets. He raised his eyebrows at my look so I just shrugged it off.

"You shouldn't be talking to me," I told him, noticing people were starting to look.

"I don't care what those people say."

"You should. You don't want to get involved with me, I'm a mess you don't want to fix."

I shut my locker door and walked away, making sure he wasn't following me this time.

A/N
There was a lot of song references in this chapter lmao sorry not sorry