Cleave - 7

Angel

Saturday morning at 11 am came around much quicker than I anticipated but I soon found myself sitting in the cabin of Drew's old truck in the parking lot of McDonald's, right before my trial shift was about to start. I was nervous. I really didn't want to screw this up because I needed this job. I needed to give Drew a reason to let me stay at his place other than the fact that I'm his best friend and I needed to give Max a reason to be proud of me. A job at McDonald's wasn't going to cut it in the long run but it was enough to make him pleased that I can finally make my own money and earn my keep. I could tell that he didn't think McDonald's was a good job, but, like he said when I told him I got the job, "it's better than nothing." Sometimes I wished that he was more excited for me when good things happened, but he was right. It sounded like it would be a shit job, but it was better than nothing.

With that thought, I took a deep breath and let it out quickly, before tugging on the door handle and getting out of the truck. I was in black skinny jeans, a plain black t-shirt and some shiny black leather shoes that were apparently non-slip. I borrowed those from Braden, whose parents own a restaurant that he helps out at sometimes. He said that the non-slip soles are really handy in the kitchen.

I was about ten minutes early, so I slowly made my way into the restaurant. There were a few people sitting at the tables and a few more lining up at the counter and I briefly hoped that I wouldn't have to deal too much with customers while I was still learning the ropes. I didn't know whether to stand in line or not so instead I opted to stand near where customers could pick up their food and waited for a worker to notice me and ask me what I was waiting for.

I stood there for a couple of minutes, shifting from side to side as customers bustled by me to collect their meals before a small blonde girl about my age came over to the counter. She was wearing a different uniform to most of the other workers so I assumed she was a manager.

"Can I help you there?" she asked in a perky voice, and I nearly groaned. It was the same voice I heard on the phone.

"Um, yeah, I'm Angel Jerome. I'm meant to start today, or something?" I said, making it sound like a question.

"Oh! Of course, Angel, how are you? My name is Jody, we spoke on the phone. It's lovely to meet you," she said happily, reaching across the counter to shake my hand enthusiastically.

"Yeah, good, um, you too," I mumbled.

"Well why don't you come on back here and I'll get you a shirt and show you around?"

I nodded, and she showed me where I could come through to the area behind the counter and then led me to a small room out of sight of the customers. There were a few boxes piled in the corner of the room with what looked like clothing spilling out of them. Jody and I walked over to them and she began to dig through the top box.

"What size are you?" she asked with her head still in the box.

"Um, medium, usually," I replied. A few moments later, Jody pulled out a crumpled shirt from the box with a triumphant look on her face.

"Here ya go!" she said, throwing the shirt at me. I figured she would want me to change into it, so I quickly did. When my head popped out of the collar of the McDonald's shirt, I noticed that Jody had her eyes fixed on my torso. I let a small smirk play across my face. It was pretty obvious what she was doing. I cleared my throat loudly, and Jody shook her head slightly as if she was dazed momentarily.