The Counselor

Rose slumped towards the counselors offices and sat outside on a blue chair. She lowered her head and thought about everything that has just happened. She has gone crazy and even the one she had thought loved her, had given up hope. The world Rose once knew, was slipping away from her and she couldn't stop it. Rose put her head on her hands and let out a sigh as she waited in anticipation to walk into the counselors office. After a couple of minutes waiting in silence, the door swung open and a boy walked out clenching his fist. He looked over at Rose, and walked away. The counselor walked out and smiled at Rose. "Come on in and have a seat." The counselor was a middle aged man with neatly combed black hair and a purple tie around his neck. He stood near the door and held it open waiting for Rose to walk in. Rose stood up and walked in and watched the door shut slowly behind them. She lay her backpack aside aside and sat in a chair in front of the counselors desk. It was neat except for a few papers and a name tent saying "Mr. Hernandez". Mr. Hernandez sat in his chair and and leaned back while cupping his hands in his lap. "Tell me about your day and what lead to your breakdown in the hallway." Rose looked down at her red shoes and shut her eyes. She didn't know how to explain it at all, she'd sound crazier than she may have already seemed. How could she explain to some man that her best friend betrayed her and her boyfriend didn't believe in her? How could she explain the whole story of how everything started? "Well..?" The counselor raised his eyebrow and sat in silence. After a couple of minutes, Mr hernandez sighed and leaned forward. "Look Rose, if you can't provide a reasonable explanation as to why you shouted in the hallway, there is no way that I could help you. I need you to help me understand. What's going on in your head?"

"He hates me.." Rose muttered and looked up at the counselor.

"Who does?"

"Greg."

"Why does he hate you?"

"I wasn't there for him, and overreacted to many things, I'm a horrible person in general."

Rose sat there and decided to explain everything otherwise, nothing would make sense. Mr.Hernandez sat there and listened carefully to what Rose had to say. After she had finished explaining everything she let out a sigh of relief. It felt nice to have someone to talk to. I feel so much better..but I feel like such a fool. An idiot who ruined everything good that ever happened to me. Mr. Hernandez cleared his throat and gave a small smile to Rose. "Well Rose, it seems as if you had had a rough start to highschool, but this type of behavior isn't acceptable. Ditching class? We will make sure to talk to the other people who have hurt you but I will have to call your parents." Rose nodded and slumped in her seat. "This isn't everything, Rose. You can still take back what they have stolen and make yourself a better person. Stay positive and smile, become someone they thought you'd never be able to become." Rose looked up and smiled. They were the kindest words she has heard so far, and they made the biggest difference to her. They meant everything, and at that moment, she realized what she needed to do. The counselor handed Rose a note excusing her from being late to her class and asked her to leave. Rose stood up, grabbed her backpack, and walked out the room. She will be someone better, a better version of herself, and she won't allow these small incidents to affect and ruin the life she was meant to have. She arrived to class, handed the teacher the note, and smiled, a genuine smile. Somehow having someone to talk to made everything seem smaller. Of course she still felt guilty and horrible and hideous, but now she will fight against it.