three

Alexandra's POV

Holy shit. Only a few feet away from the table stood probably the hottest guy I'd ever seen. Chestnut hair and baby blue eyes. He had freckles that danced along his cheeks. And his body...well, damn.

Everyone's expressions turned immediately from being sour to delighted. Well, except for Hannah.

Still pissed, she folded her arms in front of her chest and turned away from him.

He was out of breath which told me he probably ran from somewhere else in the school and worry was etched onto his features as he stared at the back of Hannah's head.

"Hannah," came a deep rumble from the boy, "I'm sorry I'm late. Again," he flinched.

She rolled her eyes but it didn't take Sherlock Holmes to detect her slight smirk.

She slowly turned back to face him, "If this ever happens again, consider yourself having one less cousin."

"Yes ma'am," he said with a salute and a grin that lit the room up.

He shrugged off his bag, had a seat at the table and greeted everyone. Then his eyes landed on me.

"Evan, this is Alexandra, she's new," said Luke. His voice was still thick with emotion but he played it off well.

I kept my expression stoic but nodded politely in Evan, I presumes, direction.

He studied me for a while before smiling at me. His smile could light up the darkest parts of the world. It could light me up. It was beautiful. I was tempted to smile back at him. I didn't.

"So, Alexandra," Evan says, practising my name on his tongue," where are you from?"

Thank God I planned this all out before coming because here begin all the lies, "Um, really far from here actually. I'm from Chicago. We drove all the way from there, through Canada and eventually here. In Alaska." The lies were rolling off my tongue easily. Moving to Alaska was not the first choice but I knew dad, nor Anthony, would be looking for me all the way out here.

Every fibre in my being is telling me to avoid his piercing gaze but my dumb ass just can't look away.

He quirks an eyebrow at my response making me wonder what his thinking. What does he know about me? Is he trying to catch me out in a lie?

"Ah, that's rough," he says, "So your parents just decided to move to this dump? We have a population of 2567, ya know."

At this Cayla interrupts, "Incorrect. Mr. and Mrs. Burn have welcomed their twins into the world, So we actually have a population of 2569." Satisfied she goes back to reading the book from her tarot cards.

"No dumbass," Layla intervenes, "this gives us a population of 2573. Assuming Alexandra has both parents and a sibling," she says matter-of-factly.