16

Two weeks after our last conversation, Zach had messaged me. I had been reluctant to reply but nevertheless, I did. When I did, he replied almost immediately. Did he miss me that much? After a few messages, he requested that we video called, no problem.

I answered his call and he began with his usual preppy behavior, but I was giving off a hostile demeanor. He tried to brush it off and pursue a heavier conversation, inquiring why he hadn't spoken in so long and all the other things I'm sure he didn't care about and I answered in the simplest way possible.

"Do you still have feelings for me?" He had asked.

"I don't know. Do you still have feelings for me?" I struck back.

"Yes, I do still have feelings for you?"

"Oh, you do? How long did it take you to figure that out?"

Hesitation on the line. The topic changed, but I wasn't giving up so easily.

The conversation escalated quickly and it ended with him shouting something along the lines, "How do you expect me to catch feelings for you in seven months? I once had to chase a girl for four years only for her to cheat on me."

Very smooth, Zach.

I took seven months out of my short life to dedicate it to you, I had no intention of cheating and I was risking my reputation to settle down with you. With you. You on the other hand thought that was too short a time. I should've expected worse.

Zach and I haven't spoken properly since that conversation, and I've been seeing him a lot regular since then. But I'm healed. I no longer want to keep a conversation and I no longer love him like I used to, but that doesn't stop me from admiring him.

I must thank him, though. Thank you for making me understand the kind of person I am without even realizing it. You're an amazing, free-spirited person and I hope with all my heart that you remain that way.

Never let anyone take away that sparkle from your eyes.