Chapter 7

Atem sighed, looking out over his kingdom. He had given up hope. It had been nine years. The Puzzle had never been found. His team had never come back.  Atem felt...old. Sighing, he looked over to Seto. Seto was sitting beside him, emotionless as always, looking older than his twenty-eight years. Atem never asked what happened that night with Joey, and Seto never said. But...Seto had never been the same afterwards. Any light Seto had in his eyes had been...extinguished. Shaking his head, Atem looked out at the preparations being made for his son's sixteenth birthday. The palace was adorned in the finest flowers and draperies. The best foods were laid out for the banquet, and royalty from all around had come.

Atem smiled at the royalty arriving. He saw his future daughter in law.  Anzu was quite lovely. He sighed quietly. He hoped that tonight would go well. Yami deserved that.  Atem would tell Yami the news he had found out tomorrow. "Seto, would you go get my son?" He smiled at his friend. Seto bowed, leaving to get the young heir.

****************

Yami looked in the mirror, trying to get his royal clothing to set right. He hated wearing it. It was always so confining. He put his white shendyt on. It was embroidered in crimson trim. He then went about adding the golden armbands, as well as his anklets and wristlets. Looking up again, he sighed, setting his headdress on his forehead. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Looking at himself from the side in the mirror, he called out "Enter."

Yugi walked in, in a cream shendyt, silver bands adorning his ankles, arms, and wrists. Amethyst trim was adorning the clothing. He wore a chain with Yami's mother's ring on it around his neck once his finger got too big to wear it any longer.  He smiled that innocent smile. Even though he didn't have those angelic wings sprouting from his back, he still looked like an angel.  Yami swallowed slowly.  Suddenly, his throat was impossibly dry.  His eyes were drinking in Yugi. "Y...you look very handsome, Yugi." He whispered.

Yugi smiled back at Yami. "Thanks, you look every bit the part of the regal, handsome, Pharaoh." Yugi kneeled in front of Yami.

Yami laughed, that rich, baritone laugh. "Stand up, Angel. You have no business bowing in front of me."

Yugi grinned, standing. Yugi had to admit, Yami looked very handsome tonight...even more so than usual. "Happy birthday, Yami!" He held out a small box, wrapped in a lovely red ribbon. He finally thought that tonight would be the right time. He had loved Yami since they met, but he had never told him...not since those youthful nights filled with childish talk.  Tonight, Yugi would tell him.  He just hoped Yami felt the same....

Yami smiled, taking the box. Looking up at Yugi he said nothing, eyes begging for permission to open the package. Yugi grinned. "I dunnoo....maybe you need to wait until after all your other presents."  Yami's smile fell into a pout. Yugi started laughing hard.

Yami's pout grew. "Whaaat?" He pouted.

Yugi rolled his eyes. "Don't even try to play innocent with me, Yami." Yugi grinned. "Go ahead and op.." Just then he was interrupted by a knock on the door.

Yami frowned. "Who is it?"

Seto's voice came from the hall. "My Prince, the Pharaoh is requesting your presence."

Yami pouted more.  Setting the present on the bed, he smiled at Yugi.  "I'll save the best for last."  He winked as he took Yugi's hand and they headed out, hand in hand. Seto watched as the two walked towards the throne room.  Seto put a gentle hand on Yami's arm before approaching the throne room.  "Sire...a moment before going in?"

Yami stopped, turning.  "What is it, Seto?"  His voice had a genuine curiosity to it.  Seto nodded to the library.  Yami and Yugi dutifully followed.