Chapter 8

"My Prince, it is time to get ready for your wedding." The servant's voice resounded annoyingly loud in the room. Yami opened an angry eye. He had crawled back in right before dawn. He had picked Yugi up and brought him in with him. Rolling over, he saw Yugi asleep on the bed, and he smiled. He couldn't imagine not seeing his Yugi every day. Running a finger over Yugi's arm, he smiled as Yugi shivered, pulling the sheet up to his chin. Yami smiled again. He heard the servant clear his throat.

Yami sighed, flopping back on the bed. He felt movement beside him. Lolling his head to the side, he saw amethyst eyes smiling at him. Yami couldn't help but smile. "Good morning, my husband." Yami whispered.

Yugi giggled. "Good morning my husband." Yugi took Yami's hand, kissing where the band was. They lay like that, hand in hand, for the longest time just staring at each other.

There was another knock. Seto's voice came through. "My Prince, please."

Yugi's smile faded as he kissed Yami's hand once more. Yami looked at Yugi. "I don't want to do this." Yami said quietly.

Yugi stood, slipping out of Yami's grasp. "They need you." He said solemnly as he got up and quickly got dressed, looking for the secret passage the two had used to sneak out of so often.  As Yugi turned to leave, Yami grabbed Yugi's hand, kissing it gently.  "I'm sorry.  But I can't give you up.  We will figure a way out to be together."

Yugi frowned sadly.  "You can't take a chance on the political aftermath, my love."

Yami's mouth set in a thin line.  "I will figure a way."  Yugi pushed open the door, disappearing from view.

Yami had never felt more alone. Standing up slowly, he went and got his clothing. Putting on his regal robes, his face was somber. He wanted to scream and refuse to do this, but he knew that he truly had no choice. His father expected it of him. His Egypt and his people needed it of him. It was a good match. It was a profitable match for everyone...except him and Yugi.

Walking out, Seto was waiting for him. Sad cobalt eyes stared at Yami. "My Prince, you look very handsome." Yami simply nodded at him. Sighing, Seto looked Yami in the eyes. "I know you won't understand what I am saying, but..." letting out a long breath, "I understand what you feel. And I'm sorry. We each have our lot in life we have to live."

Yami stared at Seto, sad eyes looking into sad eyes. Suddenly, more servants appeared, finishing the final touches on Yami's ensemble, smudging kohl under his eyes. Ushering him into the ballroom, Yami was face to face with Atem. Atem smiled at his son. "You look like a Pharaoh, my son." He leaned over and kissed Yami's head. Yami hugged his father, heart heavy.

Scanning the room full of guests, he saw who he was trying to see. Those beautiful amethyst eyes were in the back, looking at him. Yami blinked back the tears and turned away. Suddenly, Seto took his position, and Anzu was paraded in by her father, in beautiful flowing robes. Presenting Anzu to Yami, Yami bowed to his future father in law. Taking Anzu's arm, he turned to Seto.

Seto cleared his throat. "Ra ha..." He never got to finish his sentence, as the door opened and three figures long thought dead were in the doorway...

*************

"I can't fucking believe it took nine fucking years to find that fucking puzzle." Bakura growled, his hair longer and wilder than before, his eyes blood red.

Joey glared at Bakura. "Well, it wouldn't have taken us that long if you wouldn't have had that ...incident...in the tavern."

Bakura sneered. "Oh, that's rich, Guardian..."