Twenty-Three

Draco's P.O.V

            I was sitting in my room finishing up some homework. Blaise was at work and wouldn't be back for a bit because he and my father had a big case coming up. I didn't mind though, I did miss him but he was making a lot of overtime money.

            I felt a sharp kick and I gasped not expecting it.

            "Sorry sweetie." I ran my fingers over the spot. "Didn't mean to not pay attention to you." I took a break from my homework and leaned back in my chair. My belly extended well over my waistline; I could barely see my feet.  "Hmm we've only got six weeks until you're really here. I can't wait to hold you my baby. I can't wait to see you."

            "I can't either." A voice made me jump. My mother was at the door and I felt a blush crept up on the back of my neck.

            "Mum!" I squeaked. "How long have you been there?"

            "Long enough." She smiled warmly. She walked into my room and sat down on the edge of my bed. "These next six weeks are going to fly by."  She informed me. "School is ending in four, are you ready for that?"

            "I am incredibly ready for that." I exasperated. "Don't get me wrong, I love school but this year has been... less that satisfactory."

            "I bet it has. You've missed more school this year than any other year." She mentioned. "But it's understandable and your grades are still the highest of your year. Are you prepared for next year?"  

            "I think I am. Online classes in the morning and real classes in the afternoon should take a load off." I disclosed. "Plus it's more time with my baby and neither Blaise nor I have to drop out."

            "It was a very wise decision and I'm proud of you." She smiled.

            "Thank you mummy." I grinned and then winced a bit as a sharp pain laced across my belly.

            "Baby, are you okay?" She asked.

            "Pain." I mumbled and she stood up. She touched my belly, noticing it was rock hard and nodded making a knowing face.

            "False labor." She told me. "Just breathe like you were taught, it'll go away." She started to gently rub my shoulder as I breathed.  Soon the pain started to dissolve and my belly wasn't tight anymore.

            "Is all labor like that?" I asked and she gave me a small smile.

            "No, it'll be worse. Those contractions are just in preparation. The ones you'll experience will increase in intensity and frequency." She told me and I gulped. It hurt but not as bad as I thought it would be. If it increased, I couldn't imagine the pain I would be in. "But don't worry, you can be given medication to lessen the pain so it won't be as severe." She assured after seeing the look on my face.

            "I know but what if I can't handle the pain before that?"

            "You will, don't worry." She told me. "It'll be very painful sure, but it's going to be worth it and you'll be okay." She told me. She patted my head before leaning down and kissing it. "Now I had come here to ask if you wanted anything since you've been up here for a while, are you doing alright?"

            "Actually can I have some warm milk and slice of the cake we have in the fridge?" I asked and she grinned.

            "You may, I'll be back up soon enough." She told me and I nodded. She walked out and I went back to my homework as I kept a hand on my belly. The baby was kicking happily so I grinned and hummed out a tune.