Chapter 2: I want 'er

"Brantley, turn up here." I pointed up ahead to the left of the gravel lined crossroad. We were just about to enter town and had passed the large ash trees lining the road.

"Have I ever told you that I hate when you back-seat drive?" He glared looking over at me. I gave him a wide grin showing him my perfectly straight teeth in return.

"I wouldn't have to if you knew where to go. And if you didn't notice, you drive like a blind cow." I pointed out.

"I certainly do not." He leaned back in his seat and put a hand to his chest overly exaggerating. "Could a blind cow do this."

Suddenly the truck swerved to the side, turning off the right of the road, and sending dust and gravel around us. I saw Brantley grip the wheel, keeping it to the right and revving the engine forward.

"HELL YEAH!" I shouted, sitting up straighter to see us forming donuts in the waist tall grass. An open smile sat on my lips as my hoots and hollers got consumed by the sound of the engine and tiny rocks being thrown about from our wheels.

I looked over and saw Brantley with a wide grin on his face too, and I realized that it's one of the happiest smiles I've seen in a while. Breaking up with his girlfriend over the summer, due to a long distance relationship that wasn't working from the beginning, had taken a toll on him. I was happy to see the old Lee back.

Brantley slowed the car down, and drove out of the donuts he'd formed. We headed back onto the street leaving lines in the the dry grass.

"How'd you like them apples?" He smirked, turning left and merging onto the normal paved road into town.

"Pshh, that was nothing." I rolled my eyes and quirked my lips, "I could do that in my sleep."

"Oh yeah! Then how come you had your hands up in the air like a little five-year old." He punched me in the shoulder with his right hand.

"Whatever." I laughed back.

-------------------------------------------------------

Brantley I made small talk about the ranch and our upcoming rodeo we've been practicing for, until we pulled into the parking lot at school. I looked through the crowd of cars and saw fancy mustangs, SUVS, and some smart cars. I rolled my eyes, thinking of the next few hours that I'd be spending my time.

Brantley pulled to the back of the lot and my eyes perked up at the sight of a few lifted 4X4 trucks parked along side each other. I even saw a  mud covered Jeep with nerf bars lining the front and back that included hooks to haul things. One truck in particular stood out to me. It was a blue and white 4X4 Ford Raptor, with special detailing and easily 35 inch wheels. I started to drool.

I turned my attention to the thing I was dreading most. "Oh Lord." I groaned as I looked up ahead to the front of the orange and white painted school. Yay, Go Tigers. My stomach felt a little uneasy at the thought of meeting new people and trying to fit in.

"You'll be fine Ari. You're the sweetest person I know." Brantley said laughing sarcastically.

"Ha Ha, very funny." I stuck my tongue out, Brantley was not helping at all.

" 'Long as you smile and actually try to talk to people you'll be fine. Be that wild and spunky gal I know you are." He said sincerely and popping open his door. He grabbed his backpack from the backseat a took the key out of our truck.

Grabbing my bag also I said, "Yeah I guess you're right, I'd just much rather be home with the horses and dogs."

"Yeah same, but we're here so why not make the best of it." He winked mischievously.

I stepped out of our grey 1500 Laramie Ram. Our truck was perfect for just zipping around town and hauling our feed to and from. Our big rigs were at home, Daddy wouldn't let me take my favorite truck that we used to haul our horse trailer to rodeos. Even though it was an older trucker, I still liked driving it for the nostalgic feel.

I looked to the right of me and saw a brand spankin' new 2015 GMC Sierra, 3500HD Denali. My eyes went wide as I leaned back and admired the beauty. Who's sexy truck is this?  Hell if we had that truck we could haul anything we wanted and clip our horse trailer to the back for rodeos. Even our heavy duty trailer with a cabin to sleep in and hold our tack. This gorgeous thing was perfect.

Brantley cleared his throat from the front of our truck, waiting for me.

"Sorry, I just can't take my eyes off of it." I stretched my hands out in front of me with admiration in my eyes, "I mean look at it Lee, it's the prettiest damn truck I've ever seen."

I looked over my shoulder happily for approval from Lee and he scowled, crossing his arms. "I have to admit it is a badass truck. Wish we could have somethin' like that."

Just as I was about to agree, I heard a bell sound off in the direction of the school. I checked my phone to see it was 8:35 a.m.

"Shit that's the late bell." Lee glanced at me with a "move your ass look", turned and started to jog towards the entryway.

"Lord please keep me humble and give me the strength I need to get through this day." I mumbled as I ran in my uncomfortable city clothes, to catch up to Brantley.

-------------------------------------------------------

YEE YEE! Hope y'all got a kick out of this chapter and enjoyed the silly bit I added in at the beginning. I can't tell you how many times my cousins and I have gotten in trouble for things like that! 

Do you think Ari will like her new school? Guesses on what's gonna happen?! And who do you think owns the sexy truck? (Picture at beginning) 😏

Let me know what yah think! Comment, share, and Vote! 😊💕 

Love yah! XoXo