three

Dan

I noticed Phil Lester looking at me in class. I don't know why he was, though. I'm nothing to look at, really. I'm always hunched over in the too small desks for my over 6 foot body. My straightened bangs always falling into my face and my scuffed Converses are constantly pointed out from under my desk. I look more like an oversized gremlin than a high school student.

Phil, though. He was definitely something to look at. With his beautiful raven hair, lean frame from his years of sports and his eyes. Those eyes were the first thing I noticed when I saw Phil. Those eyes were the clearest of oceans, rivers and seas. It was the calm of the sky of the perfect day. That must be one of the many reasons his girlfriend, Rachel seems so happy.

***

Our teacher told us that for the first project of the year, we'd get to pick our partners. She said that everyone that was absent would be paired up by her because luckily, four people were absent. Everyone present had to find a partner in class. Well, just my luck. Not only did I not talk to anyone in class, I was somewhat of an outcast. I would probably end up going solo on this one but it didn't matter to me. I'd rather do it alone than have some dumbass mess my 96% up.

As soon as our teacher said we should get up and pick our partners, all the girls found their friends instantly. Some guys found their buddies and the only people left were me, Phil, a guy called PJ and Rachel. I mentally prepared to get to know this PJ guy, because what guy would give up his hot girlfriend for some overgrown emo rat?

I watched Phil walk over to her, whisper in her ear, she frowned and then he kissed her and walked over to PJ. He bumped fists with PJ and then walked over to me.

"Guess it's just me and you, Howell,"  he said as he pulled up a chair beside me.

"What about your girlfriend?" I asked. I realized my voice came out bitter and I frowned.

"We wouldn't be able to focus on the project, if we worked together. And she's better at doing her makeup and spending all her dad's money than anything related to school," he announced.

"What about PJ?"

"Simple. Rachel and I are in an open relationship. So, I told Peej that if he worked with her, he'd have my blessing to smash," Phil shrugged, looking down.

I frowned.

"That's disgusting," I said, as I adjusted myself in the seat. 

"She's my girlfriend and I love her, don't get me wrong, but she likes to have choices. And sometimes she wants to "hoe" around as the kids say. And I'm cool with that, as long as they use protection. I've told her this and she agrees. So, I wanted to get to know you and she wanted to get to know PJ,"

I nod. Trying to process the strangeness of teenage relationships.