twenty-four

Dan.

I blushed as people stood up and clapped and cheered.

I looked down at my phone and saw a text from Phil.

Phil💛: Meet me at my car after class.

Dan💛: Alright :)

I could hardly sit still through the rest of the class. My heart was racing and I was dying to know what Phil had to show me.

He disappeared right after class and I desperately wanted to follow him but I listened to his instructions.

I went to his car and ten minutes later, I saw him walking toward me with his hand behind his back.

He got down on one knee and produced a bouquet and a little box.

"The future Daniel James Lester, I love you. You have made me the happiest person alive. This is a promise ring that will stay in place of a wedding ring, to remind you that one day I plan to marry you. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes, Phil. A thousand times, yes," I squeaked.

I let him put the ring on my finger and he handed me the roses.

I nodded as he got off his knee and opened the car door for me.
***

I put my hand on his thigh, admiring the ring he had just given me. It was gold with tiny diamonds all around a bigger diamond in the middle.

When we finally got to his house, he locked the door and kissed me. He continued kissing my hand as he led me to to his room.