twenty-three

Phil.

I was sure that since Rock got what he wanted, the rumour would disappear by lunch and I was right.

Rock kissed Rachel in the middle of the cafeteria and made her admit that the video was taken by her and the person was a girl. He also made her say she was jealous. Then they left.

To have sex, no doubt.

We had English right after lunch, that meant we could focus on our presentation. Seeing as Dan and I were first.

The bell rang and we walked into class, dropping our bags and we headed straight to the front.

Dan sat down to put an image on the projector's screen and I looked around and saw no Rachel. Just as I suspected.

I rolled my eyes and got our notes out.

When I looked behind me, my heart swelled with joy.

One of Dan's drawings was magnified on the screen.

It was of a black, starry sky and snack in the middle was a drawing of a half moon, half sun. The moon had a brown eye. Like chocolate rivers. Like Dan's. The sun had a blue eye. A shimmering blue, like the sky. With tiny flecks of hazel. Like mine.

He stood beside me and we explained our theory and Dan talked about his drawing. He said that since our theory was really about love the two most different of creations were in love. The sun and moon were hopelessly in love and they have only heard of each other and held their glows. Never laying eyes on the other.

"The proper long distance relationship, innit?" he joked as he ended his little talk about his drawing.

No one laughed and I knew why.

They were engrossed by this beautiful piece. For the first time, the whole year and maybe since they had met him during their high school career, they saw a part of Dan. The real Dan. The Dan that I saw. The funny guy with the beautiful sense of humour to match his amazing talent. The Dan that could use literally a piece of coal to ignite a fire within you, just like film set something inside me ablaze.

I didn't know I could love someone so much.

Until this exact moment.

We got a standing ovation and Dan fell into my arms. I looked over and saw PJ smile at us.

Things were looking up.