Chapter 20: Once a Soldier, Always a Soldier

"Why has he not used his weapon yet?" Jaylah asked.

 "Cause he wants to find somewhere to inflict maximum damage," Kirk thought out loud.

 "He needs a distribution system," Uhura said.

 "They have to circulate air here, right?" I asked.

 "Aye. There's an atmospheric regulator at the core," Scotty said.

 Kirk turned to Uhura. "Lieutenant, contact Yorktown. Make sure they shut it down until we find Krall."

 "Yes," she said, scrambling out of the room.

 "How would he access the core?" Kirk asked.

 "Well, there's a maintenance tower at the station's gravitational nexus. That's the only way," Scotty explained.

 "Scotty you get over there. Make sure it gets shut down! Lane, you're with me!" Kirk shouted as he ran out of the room.

 I followed him quickly out of the room and out of the ship.  He looked up at the sky, spotting a tower.

 "There," he said to me, pointing. He opened his communicator. "Mr. Scott, why is that thing still on?"

  "We're working on it, sir, but as you can imagine there's a lot of safety protocols surrounding the thing that, you know, keeps everybody alive," Sassy Scotty said.

 "Figure something out," Kirk ordered as we ran through the crowd of people and into an elevator.

 "Be careful, Captain. Gravity's gonna get a bit screwy the closer you get to the center," Scotty warned.

 As the elevator went up, I honestly thought that it was going fast enough, and I caught myself mumbling at it to go faster. I looked up at Kirk with wide eyes.

 "Do you think we're gonna do it?" I asked.

 He looked back down at me, uncertainty in his eyes. "We're gonna find out."

 The doors opened and we ran out. We ran down this hall until we reached a door at the end. Kirk took out his phaser and opened the door, immediately firing it.

 I looked around him to see Edison on the floor. It was a strange sight to behold. It was as if he was stuck halfway between his current and old self.

 "Stop!" Edison demanded. He stumbled and tried to regain his composure, the stun that Kirk gave him taking a slight toll on his ability to stand upright.

 "What happened to you out there, Edison?" Kirk asked.

  "E-di-son," he said, trying the name on his own tongue. "I have to say, Kirk, I've missed being me. We l-lost ourselves but gained a purpose! A means to bring the galaxy back to the struggle that made humanity strong."

 "I think you underestimate humanity," I said.

 "I fought for humanity!" He screamed, which caused me to flinch and take a step back. "Lost millions to the Xindi and Romulan Wars. And for what? For the F-Federation to sit me in a captain's chair and break bread wi-with the enemy," he yelled, shaking his head as spit flew out of his mouth.

 "We change. We have to," Kirk said, his stance never faltering. "Or we spend the rest of our lives fighting the same battles."

 A noise made Kirk and I looked up, and Edison took that as his opportunity. He swung at Kirk, knocking him into me while he climbed the ladder up into the air distribution container.

 Kirk quickly recovered and climbed up, floating upwards until he was within reach of Edison. He tackled him to the best of his ability, but Edison grabbed him and swung him around, slamming him into the glass wall. He started to punch Kirk over and over, and I decided it was time to step in.