All good things must come to an end

Katherine should've known this would happen, she should've known that she would get her heart broken. Then why was she here; crying endlessly over the man who just left her? Stupid she thought. She was so stupid for believing that their love would last a lifetime. Stupid for believing that she made him forget about his lifelong dream. Stupid for spending hours making up her dream wedding with him. Stupid for creating little fantasies in her head about what their children would look like and what their names would be. Stupid, stupid, stupid! She couldn't get over him...

---

Jack Kelly was a man of mystery, he'd always had this dream of going to Santa Fe as soon as he had enough money, but Katherine Plumber changed this. She fascinated him. Soon after meeting her, Jack stopped dreaming of Santa Fe all the time as he simply couldn't get her out of his mind: The way she looked, the way she talked, even the way she acted. To Jack, Katherine was by far the most beautiful human being he had ever seen. Quickly, their relationship grew and the pair seemed inseparable; that is for about 5 years...

5 years after the newsies strike had ended, Jack and Katherine seemed to be becoming more and more agitated towards each other and ,what were once petty little arguments, grew and grew into full on screaming matches at each other. These arguments were the same as when one night Jack had walked into his and Katherine's apartment after having a few drinks with the boys.

He sloppily walked in and slammed the big oak door behind him, Katherine jumped from where she had been perched on the couch. Jack took off his jacket and hung it up before making his way into their living room. A thick aroma of alcohol filled the air and Katherine knew immediately that Jack hadn't simply been out 'taking care of some business down at the lodging house'.

"Umm, hello Jack" Katherine said, finding it rude that he'd already been home for 5 minutes and hadn't yet acknowledged her presence.

"Oh, hi" he mumbled in response.

Katherine sighed at his blunt response, "So, what were you doing all day?" She asked though she knew exactly what he had been up to considering the foul stench that now cloaked her apartment.

"I'se already told yous that I was taking care of some of da boys back at the lodging house didn't I?!" He all but shouted at her.

She rolled her eyes,"Hmm, yeah sure." She mumbled under her breath. She'd been noticing that he had been distancing himself recently, it was as though he was constantly thinking of something- which was never a good thing for him.

"What?" Jack snapped back into reality and questioned her.

"Oh it was nothing." She decided to reply, she really wasn't in the mood to be having another argument with him. Lately their relationship had been on a downhill and another extremely bad argument could be fatal to them, though at this point she didn't even see a good reason for them to stay a couple. She missed the old days when they would spend as much time as they could together. When they would sneak kisses in the back of Jacobi's deli. She even missed when all the newsies would tease them but the pair would just laugh it off because they were so in love.

"No Katherine, yous definitely said somethin'" Jack pestered but Katherine just shrugged it off "Goddammit Katherine! Just look at me and tell me what you said!" Her head snapped up and she jumped up from the couch. "Why have yours been acting all sassy with me lately, I'm so sick of it!"

Katherine was livid, how could he accuse her of being 'sassy' when he was being nothing but a jerk lately. "Me? How could you say that when you have been the one that's been causing non-stop arguments between us!" She'd had enough and didn't care about the consequences.