The Unexpected Miracle

Eighteen.

Just eighteen years old.

How was she going to do this? She had no idea of what to do, being so young and all. She and Jack had only been dating for a few months when she found out.

Her entire body was stiff and her breath stifled as she walked out of the doctor's office with this new information and headed back to her apartment. Katherine had been allowed to go home from work early after throwing up in the office and was advised to go to the doctors. Thinking it was just a bug, she didn't see much of a need to and hesitated but only until a coworker gave her a suspicious look and urged her to go.

On her way home, she walked past Newsies square, where most of the boys were selling that day, including Jack. Still stunned, she didn't even hear her boyfriend shout her name across the street to her; she didn't even recognise his presence until he tapped her on the shoulder.

"Jack!" She snapped out of her trance, "What-what are you doing here?"

"Selling papes, why aren't you at work? I was going to come and get you later so we could go out for our date."

"I-I...erm..." She struggled to come up with something to tell him, "Wait, what date?" She decided to change the subject.

"The one at that fancy restaurant down the road from your apartment, y'know, the one we've been saving for," puzzled by her distant look he struggled to explain, "our first proper date...c'mon Kath, what's up?"

"Nothing, can we save the date for another day, I'm not feeling too well." She said flustered, how had she forgotten their big date?

"Are y' ok?" Jack brought his hand up to touch her forehead only to have it swatted away.

"Jack, I'm fine just have a stomach bug." She says said as she tried to move past him but froze and took in a sharp inhale of breath as Jack's hand rested on her abdomen to try and stop her from walking away. Jack took hold of her shoulders and turn her to face him again.

Noticing her sullen look, "What's up, you look like you've seen a ghost," Katherine didn't respond, she just stared straight ahead, "Ace, you sure you're alright?" He pleaded. At this point a few of the other Newsies had took notice of the scene and had gathered around.

"Katherine, you don't look too good. Maybe you should go see a doctor." Davey suggested, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"I've already been" she stayed stood in front of Jack and lowered her head to the ground.

"And...what did they's say?" Jack lifted her chin up so she was looking at him.

"S-st...stomach bug, like I said." Her eyes brimmed with tears and she allowed a few to fall, before quickly wiping them away.

"Kath, maybe I should come home with you." Jack said, a look of concern spread on all of the surrounding Newsies faces.

"NO!...no, sorry. I-I just want to go home and rest." Truth is, she couldn't bear to face Jack any longer.

"Oh, ok. Maybe I'll come round later after I'm done with my shift."

"I'll see." She kept her head down and turned away from them all and solemnly walked to her apartment.

Katherine shut the door to her apartment with her back resting against it as she slowly slid to the floor as an ocean of tears began to spill over the brims of her eyes. Worried and dazed, confused and conflicted; the young girl's head swam in countless thoughts. What would her father say? She couldn't even bare to think about it, he would most likely kill Jack in an instant. Heavens, the poor lad doesn't even know the news himself yet. Surely Katherine would have to tell people soon, they'd all start noticing as the bump grew bigger and bigger. Her hand came to rest on her stomach which was now inhabited by a new life,