01. Yugi's Wish

Once upon a time in a land faraway, there lived a young king in a shining castle by the name of Yami Atem, and although he had everything his heart desired, he was greedy, selfish, and obsessed with power, making the young king cold, harsh, and arrogant.

However, on one cold, snowy winter's night, an old beggar woman dressed in torn clothing came to the castle and offered him a single crimson rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her ghostly pale appearance, the young king sneered at the simple gift and turned the woman away, but she warned him that he should not be deceived by appearances, for beauty can be found within. Still, he dismissed her again, and the woman's ghastly figure wilted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress dressed in white and golden yellow. The young king tried to apologize, but it was already far too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart, only greed and selfishness. Therefore, as punishment, the enchantress placed a powerful spell on the castle, transforming the young king into nothing but a hideous beast.

Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself away inside his castle with a magic pendent as his only window to the outside world. The crimson rose the beautiful woman had tried to give as a gift, which gleamed with a blazing red flame that would burn until his 21st birthday, was given to Yami, symbolizing the curse's presence. If the king could learn to abandon his cold and selfish ways, learning to love another and gain that person's love in return by the time the last burning petal fell and turned to ash, only then would the spell be broken. If he could not accomplish this task, then he would ultimately be doomed to remain a horrid monster for all time.

Now as the days passed, turning from weeks into months, to even years, the young king fell into despair and lost all hope, for who could ever learn to love a beast?

___________________________________

-December 18, 1945-

The icy winds of December whipped by as a young man with rather oddly shaped hair made his way through town. His hair was in outrageous raven black spikes that were trimmed with a violet red and golden blonde bangs framing his innocent face. However, aside from his strangely shaped and colored hair, his eyes were of the most peculiar, for they were a deep violet purple color. This young man's name was Yugi Motou, nineteen years of age. He casually walked through the streets of Domino wearing a tight, white T-shirt; tight, black pants; black belt; black shoes; a black, leather jacket; a red scarf around his neck; black leather bands on his wrists; and a black leather choker around his throat, hidden under his scarf. As the wind blew, Yugi clung onto his jacket tightly for warmth when he entered a bookstore. The store clerk glanced up from his desk and gave the teen a grin, who returned it lightly. He had semi-long jet black hair pulled into a ponytail with a red band around his forehead as his bangs framed deep emerald green eyes. The male was dressed in a black, sleeveless top; red and black jacket; black pants with matching belt and shoes; gold bands on his wrists and upper arms; and a small little dice charm dangling from his ear with a strange necklace around his neck.

"Hey, Yugi." The clerk greeted.

"Hi, Duke."

"So, what can I do for ya today?"

"I was just wondering if you had anything new come in yet." He smiled.

"No, not for another few days. Oh! That book you asked for about magicians just came in this morning though." Duke grinned as he pulled a book off the shelf and set it on the counter while Yugi scanned the other bookshelves.

Suddenly, a dark red book with gold trimming and writing on the spine caught his eye as he reached up to grab it. The teen flipped the cover open and scanned through some of the pages, finding a small grin play on his lips. Deciding he would get this one, Yugi closed the book and walked up to the counter, setting it down next to the other one he was going to get as the raven suddenly raised an eyebrow.

"You sure you wanna get this one, Yugi?" He asked while ringing him up.

"Of course, why? Is something wrong?"

"No, no, it's just I never figured you as fictional kinda guy, that's all."

Yugi gave a small shrug. "I actually enjoy books like this every so often, and something about this book just drew me towards it, so I just had to get it."

"Well, hope it's good." Duke smiled. "Here ya go." He said, handing Yugi the books.

"Thanks a lot, Duke. I'll see you soon." He waved as he made his leave only to hear people around gossiping about him.

"That boy is strange, no question." A group of gossiping old bats spoke amongst themselves. "He's always distracted."

"He's never part of any crowd." An aristocratic woman pointed out. "Always by himself, reading those books or playing with those strange cards."

"His head's in the clouds all the time..." An old man grunted.

"No denying he's an odd boy, that Yugi." A group of women conversed while exiting a shop, some men tipping their hats and bowing respectively to any woman that passed by.

Yugi paid them no mind as he carried on his way, minding his own business. Still though, sometimes Yugi secretly wished people wouldn't gossip such things about him, wishing they would stop making him feel like he was unwanted, like the refugee he knew he was. Yugi had gotten used to that though, being the social outcast around the city, he just never bothered to let it get to him. Despite what they say though, Yugi was still human. He had feelings, and people just kept disregarding them as if he didn't have any at all. That thought bothered him, knowing people say such ridiculous things without knowing if they're true or not all because they're heartless and only care for themselves. He knew he was an outcast, mostly due to his appearance and odd habits. One of these strange habits was toying with special cards. Not many people have heard of them and they aren't very popular, but each card has it's own personality, per sé. Even so, Yugi enjoyed them, almost as much as he did reading. Although, not many people agree with his odd hobbies, that much he already knew. He knew he was different, and that isn't inheritly a bad thing, but soon or later, you do get tired of all the ridiculous rumors behind you back... Sure, Yugi could just as easily talk with people, but it's not like they are all accepting. He's just different... And yeah, Yugi cared about a lot of people, especially the few friends he had, who actually cared about him in return, however, even though his friends knew how he felt, Yugi only wished he could find someone else who shared in that feeling. He wished he could seek out someone who too felt undesired and outcasted. Was that too much to ask for though? Possibly... But there was also something else Yugi secretly wished for, keeping it locked away though, for he felt it was far too silly and ridiculous. He wished for something he could share with another person who too would return that feeling. No, it wasn't something you could see, but instead, something you could feel deep within. A powerful emotion that pulls at the heartstrings and could stand the hands of time. However, wishful thinking it may be, Yugi felt he shouldn't dwell on such a thing that may not even happen, but he still hoped, hoped that one day that wish could come true.

Yugi wished he could one day fall in love, fall in love with someone who understood his hopes, dreams, and deepest desires. Love was what he truly wanted, love from someone who returned it just as passionately...