05. One Step Forward

Yami led Yugi down the dark, dimly lit hallway, the only means of light being candles mounted on the walls. Yugi hadn't realized how hungry he was until his stomach had given a low growl after the two introduced themselves, so trying to be a good host, the dragon king decided to take the boy down to the dining hall since he couldn't very well send him back to his room on an empty stomach. He decided to ask Mana to fix dinner as he took Yugi downstairs. The dragon king kept himself quite silent as the two of them walked, his long coat flowing behind him as he went. Yami soon found himself glancing back, watching Yugi out of the corner of his eye. He gazed at the boy who would stare at all the various, intricate paintings and statues, as he had done before, with interest and fascination. The dragon king gave a small smirk, somewhat admiring his innocent curiosity. However, he merely brushed it off and continued on down the steps with Yugi trailing closely behind him.

Yami may have given this boy a place to stay, though that didn't necessarily mean he trusted him, not yet at least. Besides, he had already given up on breaking this infernal spell, so what could this innocent teen do to change any of that, especially now? There was just no way in hell this one man could make a difference, or that's what Yami believed anyway. When they reached the dining hall, however, Yugi's eyes widened as they entered. The large spread of food on the beautifully decorative table was much more than Yugi had ever seen. He gazed at the table with curiosity and excitement, Yami smirking again at his enthusiasm.

"This is incredible!" Yugi said with excitement. "Do you eat like this every night, Yami?" He asked just before the dragon king got ready to leave.

"Have as much as you wish, I'm going to dine in my room then be off to bed. For now, while you're here, consider this castle your home. You are welcome to go anywhere you would like, however, the West Wing is specifically off limits. Mana will show you back to your room once you are ready for bed."

Yami began to leave the dining hall when he suddenly felt an unexpected tug on his arm, his eyes widening a bit in surprise upon seeing Yugi gripping the sleeve of his coat. He could see that small glint of sadness in those violet hues as he gazed up at the dragon king. "Would I be asking too much if I wanted for you to join me?" Yugi gently asked, Yami still in a bit of shock at this sudden turn of events.

No one had ever asked him to stay with them before, ever, even when he was still human. He had always eaten alone, mainly because he was very stubborn and wouldn't allow the servants to dine with him. However, as he turned to face Yugi, who could tell that his offer really was genuine. At first though, he was afraid of how he might frighten the boy with his terrible eating habits, being a beast and all, but Yugi was the first person to ever ask for his company, so he thought he could give it a try. That, and with that innocent look he gave Yami, how could he refuse this offer, especially with a face like that?

"Hm... I suppose it couldn't hurt, although, I do normally eat alone." Yami said as he went to take a seat at the table, Yugi following after him.

"That must be very lonely..." Yugi said as he took a seat across from Yami.

The dragon king merely rose an eyebrow at Yugi's statement, sipping some wine from a very tall glass he held in his large, scaly hand. "How do you figure? When you are alone, you need not fear or worry about anyone else around you."

"Maybe so, but then you never have anyone to talk with. I find being alone to be rather secluded, something I've always disliked... And besides, when you eat with someone else, I believe the meal taste twice as good since you're sharing it with someone else instead of simply being all by yourself." Yugi said as he poured some soup into a bowl.

Yami studied Yugi's words, taking them into consideration as he set his glass down. Yugi spoke with such a warmth and honesty about this subject, almost as if he knew that feeling of being alone and unwanted by the world; he never thought such a thing would, or even could manage to suddenly stir his way of thinking the way it did. As Yami gazed down at his plate, he wondered how someone could make something that seemed so meaningless somehow seem so important. It was strange... For some reason, Yami felt connected to this boy, despite just meeting him, but there was just something about him that was different, he just couldn't figure out what...

"Thank you again for everything you've done for me." Yugi spoke up, breaking the silence between them, which made Yami lift his head up to gaze at the boy once more.

The dragon king's eyes glazed over Yugi for a moment before turning his attention toward the burning fireplace, watching as the flames crackled and flickered as he spoke in that deep toned voice of his. "There's no need." He replied. "Stay as long as you feel necessary." Yami then gave a small hint of a smirk. "To be honest, you're the first person I've ever had as company, and although it does feel different, it isn't a bad thing either. What surprises me the most, however, is how you are somehow unafraid of--"

"Your appearance?" Yugi finished. "Well, truth is I know what that feels like, to be judged before they even know you, so I try not to do that to others, no matter what they look like. I understand that feeling of anger, sorrow, and loneliness, which is why I didn't run when you yelled at me earlier, only because I know how that feels."

Yami felt like he had been thrown for a 180 at Yugi's words. Back when he was still human, Yami believed that appearance was supposed to mean everything. In fact, he still believed that, until he heard Yugi's words that he had just spoken, taken completely aback. However, Yami gave a small smirk this time as he handed Yugi a bread roll that was reaching for, having been just out of his reach.

"You are a very strange person indeed, you know that?" Yami said with a humorous tone as Yugi glanced up, giving him a grin in return, which made the dragon king's heart suddenly skip a beat.

"Yeah, I get that a lot actually." He replied as the two of them continued on with their meal in peace. And, to Yami's surprise, Yugi was correct -- meals somehow tasted so much better when accompanied by someone other than yourself.

This boy... He is very strange indeed, yet somehow, I don't find that to be a terrible thing either. Maybe this boy does have the power to change things, or perhaps that is only wishful thinking... Yami thought to himself, hoping -- praying -- that it wasn't just wishful thinking. For once, Yami actually began to have a small glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, this accursed spell could possibly be broken so that he may not be doomed to his twisted fate of a horrid beast for all eternity...