14. The Last Burning Petal

Mai cautiously entered the dimly lit castle, her sword closely at hand as she wondered the empty halls. She slowly made her way down into the West Wing corridor, and upon finding all the destroyed paintings and scratched or burned walls, she could tell that she was getting close. Soon enough, Mai tentatively entered the lair of the beast. With her sword ready, she slowly approached the dragon king, aiming for the kill with her blade. Yami then gave a long sigh as one of the last three burning petals fell, turning into ash. Suddenly though, the dragon king turned toward Mai as she entered the room, who instantly put her guard up. However, Yami didn't even bother to defend himself against her as she raised her sword, ready to make the killing blow.

"So, you just be this "Yami" that my Yugi is so infatuated with. You're in love with him, aren't you?" She asked, but didn't give him time to answer as she continued. "Hmph... You must have placed some kind of spell on him, for I don't see how he could possibly fall for something so ugly and disgusting like yourself, you monster..."

Yami let her speak, but once she had finished, he merely turned away from her. It was then he felt his heart clench, for her words somehow cut deep into him. Mai then gave an irritated growl, demanding that Yami turn and face her. He glanced back at the demanding blonde woman for a moment before again, turning away, for he had no interest in someone so self-absorbed with themselves the way she was. Although, as his deep voice finally spoke, you could hear the sense of sorrow and depression in his quiet tone.

"You are the same as I once was when I was still human -- cold, selfish, greedy, heartless, and willing to do whatever it takes to get what you please, even if it means hurting others who might try to stand in your way. You may be a beautiful woman, but despite your outer beauty, inside of you is nothing but ugly. Your pretty face will not last forever, so what will you do when that does happen?"

Mai growled, answering by slashing the dragon king's back. Yami gave a growl in pain before Mai forced him through the stain glass window, where the pouring rain fell relentlessly, showing no signs of letting up. The blonde climbed over the broken window frame and stepped out onto the balcony, a deathly glare in her lavender eyes as she menacingly advanced toward Yami, her sword at hand.

"And had I wanted your opinion, I would have asked, but I clearly did not. You, of all creatures have no right to judge me, let alone compare me to a lowly being such as yourself, you disgusting monster! You, who has never been, nor will ever be loved, have no right to compare yourself to someone like me! You're beneath me!" She bellowed.

Mai then kicked Yami hard in the side, who grunted as he rolled onto the roof of the castle, just about ready to fall off the edge. The blonde leapt onto the roof, kicking the dragon king once more, but he didn't get up this time. At this point, he felt there was no reason to, for he did not wish to live if he couldn't have the one person who meant everything to him. However, just as Mai was about to slice Yami's head off with her broad sword, a voice rang out in the air.

"NOO!!!"

Yami suddenly gasped at the familiar voice that cried out. His eyes widened, quickly turning back to gaze down from the ledge. And there, stood at the castle gates, was the one person Yami had longed for. There, with kindness and worry gleaming in those violet eyes, stood Yugi, his Yugi. Yami gazed at the boy from above, whispering the name of the man he loved most.

"Yugi... My Yugi..."

"STOP!! Mai, please, don't!! Don't do this!!" Yugi cried out, begging for this madness to stop.

Mai, however, wouldn't listen to Yugi's pleas, getting ready to strike the dragon king down where he hung, until he turned, gripping the blade with his clawed hand. Yami let out a growl, now ready to stand his ground, for now, he had a reason to fight back. With the sword in his grasp, he forced it back, Mai stumbling backwards. She glared, getting to her feet and snatching up her fallen blade as she and the dragon king got ready to brawl. It was there, Yugi put the helmet back on and hopped onto the bike again, taking off as he bursted in through the castle doors. He quickly turned the motorcycle, causing it to come to a screeching stop before hopping off. Yugi removed the helmet from his head, throwing it to the floor as he bolted for the West Wing as fast as his legs would carry him, often stumbling as he climbed the stairs. Once into the West Wing, Yugi head for Yami's room, but when he tried to open the door, it wouldn't budge.