13. Her Envy

Motou Residence
December 24, 7:38 PM

Yugi silently stood there in his room, staring out his window aimlessly. He still couldn't stop the aching pain in his chest, and sadly, he knew what it was, but couldn't saistfy that ache... It was his heart. It hurt, deeply, and there was only one thing that would ease that pain: Yami. However, at the same time, Yugi also knew he couldn't just leave his grandfather or his friends. He cared for them, so it wouldn't be right to just up and leave, even if every fiber in his entire body screamed at him to do just that. But he knew he couldn't either... Although, at this point, that felt like a shackle on his heart. Yugi wanted to see Yami again, at least one more time. Would that finally put his mind at ease? Doubtful, but it was possible... After he had explained the whole story to his friends and grandpa, they surprisingly believed it, but at this point, they also realized that anything was possible, and Yugi wasn't one to lie. Still though, they could all tell that Yugi was different. He wasn't happy, not like he used to be. He just forced a smile, but that was only to keep the tears from falling. His friends and grandfather could tell that Yugi was unhappy, but also knew that there was nothing they could say or do to help him feel better. He would just have to let time heal his wounded heart. Of course, after explaining the story, Yugi did make sure to leave out...certain parts. He really just told them all the important things.

It had only been a day since Yugi had returned home, but to him, it felt like an eternity. Sure, everything was back to normal, except, something just didn't feel right. Even though he was home, safe and sound, he felt different, empty almost. Yugi just couldn't get all those thoughts of Yami out of his head and that saddened look he gave as he disappeared in that violet stardust. He knew something wasn't right, that Yami desperately wanted him to stay, but...let him go anyway. Just the thought of that hurt, knowing he was let go. And Yugi was fine with leaving, fine with returning home, no regrets, until Yami kissed him. In that moment, Yugi couldn't help but want to stay, and the moment he left was also the moment he could feel his heart shatter into a million pieces. That was the first time Yugi had ever felt so numb, yet in so much pain all at the same time... He was heartbroken.

Suddenly, Yugi reached for his bedside table, grabbing the golden pendant. He stared at the object for a long moment, noticing that it looked exactly like his own pendant, the design on the front exactly the same. Yugi then pressed the button on the bottom, the top flipping open, and inside, it was almost like a small mirror, Yugi's reflection staring back at him. He drew in a deep breath before he finally spoke aloud the one thing he desired.

"Show me...Yami Atem."

Suddenly, a purple glow swirled in the mirror before an image of Yami appeared. He was stood out on the balcony, loneliness and sorrow clearly evident in those crimson eyes of his. Tears suddenly filled Yugi's eyes, sliding down his face and dripping onto the pendant in his shaky hand. He quickly shut the pendant, covering his face with his arm as the other dropped, the pendant still in his clenched fist. Yugi desperately wanted to go and see Yami, but he had his grandfather and all of his friends here, so he knew that he couldn't. He couldn't just leave all the people that cared about him, but even so, that sense of guilt he felt was slowly growing, the pain in his chest steadily worsening. He just couldn't figure out why he had a burning desire to see Yami and why being apart made him feel so much pain. And that kiss... Why couldn't he get it off his mind? Why was he feeling all of these different emotions, and why won't they go away?

It was then Yugi heard a knock at his door, quickly drying his eyes and stuffing the pendant in his pocket just as his grandfather opened the door. "Yugi, dinner is ready, my boy."

"Okay, I'll be down in a minute, Grandpa." He forced a smile as his grandfather nodded, closing the door.

Solomon could tell something was very off about Yugi. He knew something was troubling him, and he wanted to help, but at the same time, didn't want to force him since that might close him off even more. However, Solomon was pulled out of his thoughts when he noticed Yugi trudge down the stairs and slump down into a chair minutes later. Yugi had been very quiet since he had returned home, huddling himself up in his room. He also came to notice Yugi hadn't eaten anything since he had returned, refusing to eat out of sheer depression. Sure, one day shouldn't be enough to make someone worry, but in this case, something seemed very different, very wrong... As Yugi sat at the table, he began to sway back and forth a bit, shaking his head to try and steady himself, but it wasn't working. For some reason, Yugi felt weak, and he couldn't figure out why. But then again, not eating or drinking anything, plus all the crying he had done, it was all starting to make sense. Suddenly though, Yugi's eyes became heavy, falling from his chair and onto the floor with a loud 'thud!' Solomon gasped, rushing over to Yugi's side, trying to shake him awake.